In 1999 a 16-year-old Kevin Sproles started designing, coding and shipping what would become Volusion, while living with his parents in Simi Valley, California. From the start Kevin understood how to turn customer pain points into real solutions that would help entrepreneurs establish & grow their online business.
He did this by listening to the customer, and understanding the ‘why’ behind each request a customer would make. Kevin is still a firm believer in “talking with customers", and modern organizations have created many names for it over the past few years: Customer development, customer-first, brand development, user innovation, and lean startup principles.
Fast-forward to 2016, and Volusion has connected with hundreds of thousands of customers that have used and are currently using Volusion software to power their websites. We've reached a very unique position in the market without taking on high amounts of debt (private or public) as compared to similar competitors such as Shopify and BigCommerce.
We want to help founders and entrepreneurs be the best at what they do. We believe the best way to grow our business is by helping our customers grow theirbusinesses. Our primary goal, which we’re well positioned to meet, is to create thousands of small business success stories through the products and services we deliver.
At Volusion, a Director of Engineering would be:
- The embodiment of our culture code. We hope you are nodding your head in agreement as you browse through it!
- Accountable for delivering business objectives
- Super transparent with team, peers and leadership
- Communicating and owning priorities within the engineering team
- Willing to get hands dirty and work with the team day-to-day
- One of the strongest technical leaders within the organization
- Responsible for creating and implementing an engineering strategy
- In constant communication with customers
- Instrumental in hiring and coaching high-performing team members
- Actively looking for ways to make everything better
- An expert in modern agile and lean methodologies
- Passionate about automation, continuous delivery and cloud tech
- Willing to participate in speaking engagements (public and internal)
- A strong negotiator for developer and vendor contracts
- Detail oriented and always looking at data to back decisions
- Performance minded (delivery and SLA)
- Eager to help create the best tech company in Austin
- Responsible for department budgeting and cost-savings identification
We are looking for someone with:
- A Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical, Mechanical, Software or other Engineering discipline
- 10+ years experience in the tech industry
- 8+ years experience coding, building, testing
- 7+ years experience as a Manager or above
- 3+ years in the trenches startup experience
- High emotional intelligence
- Amazing communication skills