Engineering Director is an energetic leader with the ability to mentor, motivate and develop product development engineering teams within his/her assigned product category. This position requires an individual with extensive experience in a new product development environment related to electro-mechanical consumer products. Within the product category, the Engineering Director will be responsible for owning and driving all projects on the New Product Roadmap from concept to production.
The Director is responsible for the overall success of all projects within their product category as measured by performance specifications, financial targets, schedules and quality specs.
- Direct all activities of the product category team.
- Lead by example while developing and providing career growth for the individuals.
- Drive enthusiasm within the team and encourage others to take risks with new challenging ideas.
- Work close with Product Management partners to develop and own a product roadmap that meets sales and market needs.
- Prioritize and assign resources which maintain flexibility to meet the fast paced product development needs.
- Drive disciplined adoption and use of the NPD process.
- Ensure seamless integration of the Advanced Development Technologies with the Development/Execution phases.
- Deliver accurate product cost estimates for Business Case financial justification.
- Manage all project risks throughout the development cycle while providing appropriate options.
- Work with management to resolve obstacles, evaluate risks, and recommend solutions.
- Ensure that the core brand values are followed throughout the organization including product development, Industrial Design, Quality, Testing and Production teams.
- Monitors current and new engineering related technologies.
- Monitors competitive activity and product line positioning. Understands competitive product offerings, features, benefits and competitive advantage
- Sets strategic direction with the Project Engineers / Designers in coordinating product line activities. between industrial design, engineering, manufacturing, supply chain and product.
- Managing multiple product portfolios responsibilities including profit and loss, product roadmaps, new product development, and cost management.
- Foster a spirit of teamwork and unity among department members that allows for collaboration over ideas and the appreciation of diversity as well as cohesiveness, supportiveness, and working effectively together to enable each employee and the team to succeed.
- As a change agent, embed the processes, activities and behaviors required to foster the culture that will achieve our strategic focus.
- Provides leadership coaching/mentoring to accelerate transition to new roles and to develop leadership capabilities and enhance impact in areas that include strategy execution, managing change, organization design, etc.
- Performs other related duties as required
Minimum Job Requirements:
- BSME or BSEE. Advanced degrees and certifications welcomed but not required.
- 12+ years of engineering experience in an electro-mechanical consumer appliance organization.
- 8+ years of project management experience managing a product from concept to completion.
- 5+ years in leadership roles in fast-growing product development environments.
- Very strong technical skills in mechanical and electrical systems found in complex consumer appliances.
- Broad background knowledge for drive systems, motors, rechargeable battery cells (Li-Ion), switches, battery chargers, sensors, LED applications, and electronics in products.
- Solid knowledge of plastics, injection molding and manufacturing processes typically found in consumer appliances
- Team player with an entrepreneurial drive and high integrity; Positive attitude and ability to motivate and energize others. Must be an excellent manger with solid people skills, mentoring skills and presentation skills.
- Creates an environment where successes are recognized, shared, and celebrated together.
- Leads with integrity; conducts business fairly, honestly, and ethically every day.
- Superior leadership skills and possess a passion for growing and developing talent.
- Strong coaching and people management skills are required.
- Excellent business communicator with the ability to present technical ideas to all levels in the organization in an effort to create excitement and buy in from the leadership team.
- Experience understanding and working with/around a complex patent environment.
- Ability to harness the team's technical creativity and transform it into specific design solutions that meet schedule, cost and performance goals.
- Ability to multi-task and run multiple projects in a fast-paced, work environment.
- Familiar with CAD, FEA, CFD, and other engineering tools
- Familiar with FMEA methodology
- Familiar with appliance regulatory and testing agencies such as UL, CEC, ASTM, IEC, CE, RoHS
- Familiar with Quality assurance methodologies.
- Familiar with Pro E.
- Able to develop and implement effective strategies and implement policies and procedures.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills along with effectively leading meetings.
- Organized with demonstrated project management skills.
- Experience working with Asian counterparts and OEM suppliers highly desirable.
- Working knowledge of Floor Care Products (vacuums, carpet washers, Hard floor cleaners, etc) a plus.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Project a plus.
- Creative and analytical, yet practical, in problem solving and decision making.
- Overseas travel required (approximately 2-3 times/year, up to 3 weeks at a time)
- Domestic travel required (approximately 3-4 times/year).