Wayfair is looking for an experienced Engineering Leader to lead our Backend Platform teams for the Storefront organization and deliver fundamental capabilities focusing on microservices (service frameworks, Infrastructures, tooling) and GraphQL (frameworks, gateway infrastructure and architecture patterns) platforms that enable teams to build scalable, performant, secure and resilient apis. These platform capabilities will enable Storefront product and engineering teams to build applications and features consistently and quickly across channels - Desktop, Mobile Web and Native Apps for all of Wayfair’s retail brands (Wayfair, Perigold, AllModern, Joss & Main, Birch Lane) and geographies (currently US, UK, Canada and Germany, growing to 15+ over the next few years).
We are in the middle of massive tech transformation and replatforming our tech stack to unlock the scale, speed, agility and craftsmanship. Our platform vision includes the core tech fundamentals while also bringing cutting edge technology innovations to create world class experiences. Some of those opportunities include delivering a global micro services architecture, graphQL platform, computer vision, AR and visual search to bring shopping in the Home category alive. We need an amazing engineering leader to champion our platform, talent and customer experiences partnering closely with Product, Design and Analytics leaders.
What you will do in this role:
- Drive Results
- Define, design and deliver a micro services and modular platform for building shopping experiences across mobile and web channels.
- Drive replatforming of tech stack ground up owning the talent, org transformation and readiness, architecture, delivery and deployment
- Drive the customer focused quality including site performance, availability, security, accessibility. Champion voice of the customer in driving results around the customer experience.
- Drive innovation around GraphQL, Cloud Native and Differentiated experiences
- Win Together
- Lead and build a team of engineers, architects, sdets/devops establishing and fostering a team culture with high accountability, trust, collaboration and empowerment
- Collaborate effectively with senior partners, stakeholders, and executives to ensure cross-Wayfair alignment and support for the tech strategy and vision
- Continuously Improve
- Wear the Wayfair hat in all decisions you make, for the platform, tech choices and your teams with growth mindset
- Balance iteration and leap-frog strategies in striving for a world-class. Create prioritization framework that allows parallel progress of platform, business and quality outcomes
- Learn and grow as an individual and team leader in similar ways to how you’ll grow our customer experience
This role gives you the opportunity to be at the forefront of much of our technology innovation.
What you’ll need
- 10+ years’ Engineering Management experience, with preference for candidates with a track record building platforms that enable world-class consumer experiences at scale.
- Demonstrated ability driving large scale replatforming to micro services and distributed systems architecture from definition, design to implementation, solving problems around scaling and concurrency.
- Demonstrated ability of building reusable services frameworks and tooling including infrastructure and devops, experience driving architecture patterns and practices.
- Experience with public cloud-based infrastructure and cloud native development
- Experience building GraphQL framework and infrastructure capabilities is a plus
- Track record of hiring, developing and inspiring top engineering talent. Leader will inherit existing teams on backend and graphQL and will uplevel skillset and hire to create the right organization with talent needed to drive the backend replatforming and tech transformation
- Passionate about customer experiences; and can partner closely with product, design and analytics to define and implement highly scalable platform
- Demonstrated ability to build and lead engineering organization and champion team culture that make developers productive & happy, customers happier in ways that help the business succeed, and cultivate high levels of ownership, trust and morale.
- Excellent communication skills with demonstrated ability to translate the org purpose & vision, navigate a complex organization, rally people around an exciting vision, and generate buy-in for ideas and plans.