Cobham's Radar and EW Microelectronic Solutions (REMS) Business, located in San Diego, CA is a leading supplier of products for high performance radar and EW applications including microwave transmit / receive solutions, channelizers, preselectors, switch matrices, synthesizers, and receiver / exciters. The REMS business is recruiting a Director of Engineering to lead the engineering group responsible for development programs and production ramp activities across the full product offering.
This role reports to the Cobham Advanced Electronic Solutions (CAES) VP of Engineering and dotted line to the REMS VP/GM. This is a key leadership position in the management of the REMS business, driving high standards of engineering performance through collaboration and coordination across engineering functions and across all functions within the business, and defining overall long- and short-term functional goals to support the site's strategic aims.
The ideal candidate is someone with a strong engineering and programmatic background who has experience in managing engineering development programs and production support activities across a diverse product portfolio and has proven capabilities to work across functions in a matrix organization to achieve operational results.
The Director of Engineering is an important change agent for engineering and the site. The Director of Engineering will manage the optimization of engineering processes, procedures, and tools, addressing opportunities to improve processes and practices within engineering and across functions to assure successful program execution, engineering effectiveness and efficiency, and development speed.
- Oversee engineering development programs, in coordination with program management, to assure successful program execution for technical, schedule, development cost, and design-to-unit-production cost (DTUPC) objectives. Apply strong engineering and programmatic judgment to drive effective risk and opportunity management. Work collaboratively with manufacturing engineering to assure that design-for-manufacturing and design-for-reliability principles are consistently applied to all development programs.
- Manage detailed engineering resource planning and coordination of engineering schedules across engineering functions and with other functions such as program management, operations, supply chain, and business development in order to responsively and effectively deliver engineering requirements for development programs, research and development activities, bids and proposals, and production support; adjusting for evolving priorities and resolving resource conflicts as needed.
- Actively develop plans, functional strategy, budgets, and staffing requirements - actively addressing engineering capabilities and capacity through skills development and recruitment.
- Drive efforts across engineering functions to optimize effectiveness and efficiency of site engineering, including engineering skill sets, engineering work flow, and engineering processes.
- Identify design tool and capital needs. Strategize toward improving tool sets and technology requirements for the engineering function. Drive efforts improving test capability in support of both engineering and production. Coordinate with IT in execution of design tool and technology upgrades.
- Manage engineering efforts with other functions (program management, operations, quality, business development, etc.) to optimize effectiveness and efficiency of site business practices.
- In coordination with the Directors of Engineering at other sites, facilitate and streamline cross-site borderless engineering activities and resource planning.
- In coordination with the Directors of Engineering at other sites, share best practices and drive towards common approaches and tools in areas that would be beneficial. Implement Cobham-wide tools and processes and define best-fit updates to complement Cobham's engineering standard operating framework. Evolve design processes to utilize the most effective new techniques, assuring methodologies streamline design and drive DTUPC reductions to be responsive to market needs.
- Drive improvements in engineering performance metrics. Drive efficient and consistent application of Life Cycle Management (LCM) across the development programs. Manage engineering Key Performance Indicator (KPI) data collection and reporting for the REMS business.
- Ability to lead and drive high performance across engineering programs, with a strong focus on program execution and rigor, customer satisfaction, and speed to market
- Ability to apply sound technical and programmatic judgment, make impactful decisions in complex and ambiguous situations, often with incomplete data
- Ability to develop talent through coaching, training, performance management, and recruitment
- Ability to work within a matrixed management structure in an agile and non-siloed manner
- Ability to build excellent relationships with key stakeholders, ensuring "cross-pollination" of insights and experiences
- Ability to strongly mediate and develop alternate approaches when there are diverse and conflicting needs in order to achieve positive outcomes
- Ability to role-model for the organization in line with Cobham's SPIRIT values, exhibiting exemplary leadership behavior and emotional intelligence
- Strong communication skills, employing diplomacy, confidence and tact; assertive without antagonism or alienation
Key Measures / Milestones:
- Attaining Engineering Operational Excellence goals including technical, schedule, development cost, design-to-unit-production cost, design for manufacturability, and design for reliability goals
- Engineering Key Performance Indicators (KPI) improvement
- Customer Satisfaction ratings
- BS Engineering or Physics + 12 years' experience in leading multi-discipline engineering development teams in a high-tech manufacturing company
- Experience with electronics design & manufacture, relevant market/customer acumen, and strong product and technology expertise
- Experience delivering consistent engineering results across the business pipeline for a diverse product portfolio
- Experience in driving engineering processes, practices, and measures of performance and proven track record with continuous improvement achievements in engineering organizations, including working knowledge of LCM and/or Stage-Gate methodology
- Business strength, including a track record of enabling business performance goals through engineering performance results, including responsibility for budgets, schedules, cost estimates, resource planning, and proposals
- Demonstrated ability to lead progressive changes with strong change agent, mentoring and personnel development skills
- Experience interfacing directly with customers on complex programs
- Ability to obtain a SECRET security clearance
- Experience leading development of microwave products for radar and EW applications
- Master's degree in a technical specialty or in management
- Experience managing engineering at the site level
- Experience managing engineering personnel across multiple locations
- Experience in program management
- Experience working in and driving results in a matrix organization
- Active SECRET security clearance
All applicants must be a U.S Citizen or U.S Person as defined by ITAR (a lawful permanent resident or someone who is a protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C.1324b(a)(3)). In order to be eligible for positions requiring a Security Clearance, you must be a US Citizen.
Cobham is one of the world's leading companies engaged in the development, delivery and support of leading-edge aerospace and defense systems in the air, on land and at sea. Our clients and partners trust Cobham to deliver the mission-critical technology they need, and we trust our employees to draw on their ingenuity and passion to deliver those solutions. This leads to an empowering culture for our people. Our Leadership team is open, sharing plans for the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding, exciting work, and providing full guidance and mentoring.
Cobham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee population. It is the policy of Cobham to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information. Cobham will refrain from discharging, or otherwise discriminating against, employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants.