Director of Engineering - Product Development
If you offer a background in engineered product development along with strong leadership/management experience, you may have interested in this Director of Engineering ? Product Development job position in Elkhart, Indiana. This is a full-time, permanent job position.
In this role, you will lead in the development, testing, and innovation of new products and systems and the enhancement and support of existing products. You must have an understanding of market trends in the industry with the ability to respond quickly to customer needs. You will be a catalyst for optimizing innovative product designs, understanding system responsibilities requirements, and building proactive customer relationships. You will need to champion the use of concurrent engineering throughout the organization. This individual is a critical part of the business unit management team who will drive the organization?s growth. This position reports to the President of the company.
What does this company offer?
- Publicly traded, global, industry leader providing products into multiple industries.
- For over 60 years, key innovators in their industry
- Known for quality and reliability, millions of people uses their products on a daily basis
- Excellent compensation, benefits and profit sharing
What will you be doing?
- Support product development teams and provide effective project management for new product development, systems integration, and existing product improvements that meet scheduled completion dates and key performance objectives
- Lead in the creation of innovative solutions to support VA/VE initiatives
- Facilitate team based leadership concepts including open communication, concurrent engineering, and continuous improvement
- Continually work to improve standards and processes in all phases of the product cycle including the design process, documentation and systems responsibilities
- Envision potential applications for core technology beyond existing products
- Work closely with the product teams, sales, and customers to develop innovative, cost effective, producible solutions to design specifications and field requirements
- Prepare annual budgets, tracking and accountability for actual expenditures
- Develop and manage project plans and schedules to assure objectives are met
- Create innovative and proprietary technology and product platforms
- Foster focused resources and cross-functional teamwork
- Identify new and/or opportunistic applications and ideas in addition to cultivating relationships with current and target customers
- Building and leading a dynamic organization and setting the pace and example as leader, coach, and mentor to further build and strengthen the culture/skills of the team
- Lead technical reviews with key customers, regulatory and research bodies, author and deliver technical presentations, white papers and similar to industry
- Work with in-house and outside counsel to lead IP strategy and execution, oversee administration and prosecution of existing and pending IP
- Work with peers to improve business process efficiency in areas of responsibility, including ISO9001, as well as refinements to the RFE, ECN, and engineering services processes and procedures
- Establish a deep and broad competitive bench marking system that defines and catalogs competitive product performance levels for products in both child and specialty vehicle restraint product lines
- Travel will be approximately 25%, some international
- Occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, reach with arms and hands, climb stairs, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 lbs.
What do you need for this Position?
- BachelorDegree in engineering, preferably mechanical or mechanical design; Master Degree is preferred but not required
- 10+ years of product design/engineeringexperience
- 5+ years in engineering management role in areas such as: research and development, laboratory testing, design or engineering services
- Experience leading an engineering team that has designed unique custom products for a specific customer base and the associated requirements
- Automotive or other vehicle industry experience is a plus; however, individuals with a background in the design of other components will also be considered.
- Must have experience with product development including project planning, scheduling, stack ups, theoretical analysis, testing and overall design responsibility.
- A background in an entrepreneurial organization focused on developing well-engineered custom components and systems is most desirable
- Proven record of creativity and developing innovative solutions to highly complex technical requirements.
- Very strong communication skills, to include spoken, written and presentation skills
- Strong analytical, and interpersonal skill
- Solid mix of technical and leadership skills as well as ability to communicate easily at both the technical and non-technical level. Chinese language skills are desirable but not required
- Experiencesupporting bids and proposals and managing multiple development projects concurrently
- Solid business, financial, and project management skills coupled with strategic planning experience
- Experience in the growth and professional development of people
- Demonstrated record of building and maintaining effective working relationships with customers, peers, subordinates and management.
- Ability to mentor engineering staff on technical issues and work closely with sales and product teams to define product specifications.
- Experience in multi-site, multi-country organizational structure
- Ability to lead in a matrix organization
- Familiarity with engineering services functions and their implementation, use and management