Our client is a global expert in the supply and full lifecycle management of specialty chemicals and gases, providing refrigerants, blowing agents, fire protection agents and carbon credit offsets to customers around the world. With industry leading recovery, reclamation, and gas processing technologies, our client continues to lead the industry in developing cutting-edge solutions designed to protect the environment.
Reporting to the President, the Director, Engineering will lead engineering activities across North America through continuous development of the company's technical and infrastructure capabilities in order to achieve the company's goals. He/She will inspire and motivate a team of talented, skilled, and capable engineers to meet the business requirements of today and create the company of the future through the continuous improvement of people, process, and projects.
· Mentors, coaches, and develops engineering and technical resources to complete required projects on time and in line with capital expense expectation, supporting the continued growth of the business.
· Creates and coaches to individual development plans for each of the company's engineering and technical resources to develop a thoughtful mix of process-focused capability with critical project management skills.
· Develops a program to successfully integrate third party technical skills and capabilities into our client's business and project execution activities to ensure project execution is fast, simple, and efficient. Ensures that third party resources meet the highest levels of safety performance, operating in our client's plants as if they are one of their own, and that their work performance complies with required technical standards.
· Drive a culture of continuous improvement in all our client's projects with a focus on quality, health and safety to achieve the level of an on-going safety culture expected for a world class leading chemicals company.
· In coordination with the client's International engineering teams, ensures that key projects delivered in the region integrate the latest technologies which help our client's employees operate their facilities more safely and efficiently, with the result being the capability to deliver industry leading performance.
· Leads Process Safety Management and HAZOPs for all required projects and processes in the business. Ensures that local operations and safety professionals are included in this process to ensure a well understood, and integrated review process.
· Trains, sustains, and utilizes project management skills in the development, execution, and tracking of company engineering projects. Develops a cadence to sufficiently communicate progress to the business in a timely manner.
· Project management: Lead and respond to the commercial needs of the business by developing operational activities ready for new product development.
· As a senior leader of the company's global engineering efforts, will be available to support key company initiatives and projects where required.
· Contribute to the development of the business strategy, business planning and execution to support the achievement of business goals and key performance objectives.
· Support the preparation of budgets and forecasts and manage costs, overheads and expenditures in line with these, identifying opportunities to reduce cost so as the business achieves or exceeds the budgeted profit projections.
· Promote good communication across the business, providing support to other departments with service improvements and consulting stakeholders on operations/engineering service improvements in order to ensure both full functionality and continuous improvement of the business.
· Represent and promote the business at external committees, boards, local, regional and international events.
· Engineering Bachelor Degree Required with preference given to Chemical or Mechanical Engineering.
Project Engineering background a plus.
· Strong background in performance management, coaching, and mentoring in a team environment.
· 10 years' experience of working in an operational/chemical processing environment.
· Substantial experience of successfully managing a multi-disciplined team.
· Background in Lean Manufacturing.
· Demonstrated experience leading HAZOPs, EMOC, and MOC in a production environment.
· Have a detailed understanding of relevant industry standards: OSHA, DOT, CGA, etc.
· A sound understanding of regulated systems such as ISO 9000, 14000 and 18000.
· Significant industrial safety experience.
· Direct experience in projects which incorporate Process Safety Management.
· A sound understanding of and experience using Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and Outlook.