Position: Director of Engineering
Reports to: SVP Operations
Location: Phoenix, AZ
About the Company:
Founded in 1996, the company is a privately held manufacturer of vitamins and nutritional supplements. The company was created to bring a higher level of quality and service to contract and private-label manufacturing. Today, the company serves some of the industry?s largest and most-respected customers in the retail, multi-level marketing, e-commerce and sports nutrition industries.
Their state-of-the-art, environmentally friendly facilities in Phoenix, Arizona, exceed cGMP standards and allow them to grow in anticipation of their customers? needs. With over 350,000 square-feet of production and warehousing space, as well as continued expansion plans, the company is equipped to bring their customer?s product vision to market.
The company employs over 800 associates and generates revenues in excess of $200mm annually. They are majority owned by a regionally focused private equity firm with a focus on long-term value creation and stewardship.
The Director of Engineering will oversee the maintenance and manufacturing engineering functions for company?s three vitamin manufacturing plants located in Phoenix AZ. He/she will manage maintenance and equipment engineering for multiple processes including, blending, granulation, drying, compaction, coating and packaging. The Director is responsible for leading capital projects, equipment justification and optimization, and operator training. Will work collaboratively with plant leadership driving- continuous improvement initiatives while managing maintenance resources to develop a proactive maintenance function that optimizes equipment up time.
- Evaluate existing manufacturing processes and workflows to identify areas of improvement.
- Develop maintenance and engineering operational standards and KPI?s across all product lines designed to maximize efficiency and reduce downtime.
- Lead capital projects (equipment justification and optimization, line layout, line transfer, decommissioning, operator training, etc.)
- Work in concert with plant leadership to implement and utilize continuous improvement tools into the manufacturing, engineering and maintenance organizations.
- Ensure organizational compliance to the company quality systems and cGMP programs.
- Oversee engineering and maintenance personnel to include training, promotion, transfer, termination, hiring and disciplinary actions.
- Ensure that his/her team is well versed in all relevant technical data and engineering standard operating procedures and is able to provide technical assistance (equipment capability, training, maintenance, etc.) to all manufacturing groups and audiences as needed.
- Work with operations to drive the prompt resolution of any production or quality issues.
- Stay abreast of technical advances in relevant fields. Research and evaluate any new technologies that may benefit the maintenance or engineering functions and make recommendations to senior management.
- Serve as the subject matter expert for all engineering related issues.
Desired Skills & Experience
- A four-year college degree is required; Mechanical Engineering is strongly preferred.
- 7+ years?experience with a minimum of 3 years of people management experience in an engineering role within manufacturing.
- Previous experience in the pharmaceutical, vitamin, nutritional supplement, food or packaging industries is strongly preferred.
- Proven track record of using continuous improvement tools (Lean, Six-Sigma, Toyota Production Systems, etc.) to drive improvements in plant operations.
- Proven track record of developing promotable employees.