Director of Engineering
11 - 15 years experience • Manufacturing / Electronics
StepBeyond Solutions Inc
Our client is aggressively recruiting a Director of Engineering.
PhD or MS EE or similar preferred.
You will lead a highly talented and educated team of engineers to develop complex instruments for the US military and other customers.
Seeking a leader with experience in RF electronics. Also seek experience leading teams with any of these: acoustic, electro-acoustic, GPS, hydrophones, receivers, electronic and mechanicalengineering.
This position is responsible for the direction and profit and loss for the engineering group. Position has responsibility to ensure departmental goals and objectives for assigned engineering group. Manages group budget and engineering personnel staffing requirements. Develops and justifies evaluation, quality, and process criteria. Identifies technical issues of future importance. Has an in-depth understanding of business goals and provides the engineering leadership required to support goal attainment.
StepBeyond Solutions Inc is the leader in Executive Search and Technical Recruiting for Electronics Manufacturers. StepBeyond.com has been the premier online EM recruiting site since 1997.
Who do we recruit? Anyone who has a reason to step on the floor of an electronic assembly operation.
- Responsible for the profit and loss of the engineering department business unit.
- Direct the activities of the engineering department to meet corporate objectives and financial goals
- Direct the activities of the engineering department to meet the needs of the customer.
- Plan and manage the engineering department staffing level including recruiting and reductions in workforce. Optimize engineering staff to provide appropriate resources to supportengineering development jobs, production jobs, internal R&D jobs, and bid and proposals.
- Plan, generate, manage, and control the engineering department overhead budget on a fiscal annual year basis.
- Provide direction and effective leadership and/or mentoring to the engineering group. Motivate. Write and administer performance appraisals and performance improvement plans as required.
- Career development for engineering staff, including guidance and continuing education.
- Interface directly with customers through presentations, meetings, or other communication media to represent The Company.
- Facilitate the implementation of Lean Enterprise culture. Establish measurements for departmental goals with matrices, trend charts, and related measurement tools.
- Present group status in program reviews and monthly reports as required.
- Assign specific job tasks to engineers and teams for completion as well as monitor progress. Match engineers to specific program needs.
- Determine requirements for materials and equipment for engineering projects and ensure all required tooling, equipment, and materials are available for the engineering group.
- Use Company policies and procedures to complete work assignments and assures group employees adhere to the Sparton policies and procedures. Continuously improve department methodologies, process, and procedures.
- All other duties as assigned.
- BS Engineering, MSpreferred.
- 10+ years experience in related management responsibilities.
- Familiar with wide range of engineering disciplines needed for design and development.
- Expert at analyzing complex functions, procedures, and problems to find creative, logical, and effective solutions.
- Ability to handle multiple functions, customers, and projects simultaneously.
- Maintains painstaking attention to detail and in completing multiple or repetitive tasks.
- Experience with all forms of engineering tools (i.e. analytical, statistical, design, data collection, etc.).
- Is a compelling and articulate speaker in a variety of settings. Easily adjusts the message to match the audience.
- Proficient in software applications specific to job requirements.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills to communicate with upper management, with customers, and with the engineering team.
- Demonstrates a serious commitment to accuracy and quality while meeting goals and deadlines.