"We need someone who has worked on MMO games and who is also an expert in building games using Unity. We need someone with leadership skills who is also willing and able to roll up there sleeves and jump in to provide technical support as needed."
This role will be a blend between hands-on and management experience. This role still requires MMO experience.
Ideal candidate will have a software engineering background who moved to management.
Our client, a fast-growing educational software company, is seeking a full-time in-house Director of Engineering to lead the technical team on a new, still unreleased ambitious project. This person will report directly to our Executive Producer and have overall responsibility for the engineering team across platforms and technologies.
- Provide technical expertise to lead and manage a team of engineers across multiple disciplines – client, server, network, database, web, and tools.
- Interface with creative teams to provide solutions for feature requests within limits set by company stakeholders.
- Architect, drive, and oversee long and short-term technology solutions for client and server software.
- Contribute to the technology platforms, libraries, systems, and tooling used by our engineering team(s).
- Work with production to plan, scope, and schedule solutions from the engineering team
- Collaborate and facilitate communication both locally and with remote development teams.
- Evangelize and support the rollout of new technologies, libraries, and development techniques.
- Evaluate current staffing needs and participate in recruiting initiatives and interview processes.
- Contribute to emerging training strategies and career development initiatives.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience building and managing technical teams, including hiring and mentoring developers
- Experience managing mixed engineering organizations including local, remote, and vendor resources
- Familiarity with client/server, database/web interfaces, and Unity development for PC and mobile
- Experience architecting and facilitating solutions for multi-player online, PC and mobile platforms.
- Experience collaborating with, and giving guidance to, technical leads.
- An excellent communicator, both verbal and written, with technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- A proven ability to facilitate consensus across cross-functional teams.
- Comprehension of a variety of Software Development Life Cycle practices including Agile/Scrum
- Expert knowledge of modern mobile technologies including iOS development in Objective C, Android development in Java, and cross platform development in Unity using C#.
- MMO experience highly desired. Familiarity with Photon Server a plus.
- Strong work ethic required, sense of humor a plus