The Director of Engineering, a member of the senior management team, is responsible for providing strong technical and business leadership in connection with the Company’s overall business objectives. This individual has overall responsibility for all activities relating to the product development process, including technical aspects of proposals, the planning of engineering schedules and resources, development and maintenance of a technology roadmap, formulating and recommending engineering policies and programs. This individual is ultimately responsible for the on-time, on-budget completion of engineering development programs and the delivery of a production ready product and documentation package to operations.
- Supports the company’s strategic planning and budgeting process with necessary information and analysis.
- Translates the company’s strategic plans and objectives into departmental actions.
- Has overall responsibility for engineering development which includes the establishment of an engineering work schedule, management of engineering resources, tracking of work progress, and delivery of a production ready product and documentation package to operations on-time and on-budget.
- Interfaces with the customer to negotiate and clarify technical requirements.
- Directs engineering activities through subordinate management and directly to conduct a variety of design, test, and documentation tasks.
- Sets, oversees, and modifies as necessary engineering policies and procedures and design and product standards.
- Supports the business development team with input on product design and features and development cost and schedule.
- Oversees the development and maintenance of product roadmaps.
- Initiates and participates in improvement processes.
- Provides necessary leadership for all R&D activities including management of R&D schedules, budgets, and project definition.
- Champions Lean in Engineering.
- Provides support on EAC updates.
- Supports operations by providing necessary test resources and troubleshooting in a timely manner.
- Ensures operational standards are maintained by engineering personnel involved in product production.
- Plans and approves the arrangement of equipment within the engineering lab portion of the manufacturing facilities to ensure the most efficient and productive layout.
- Provides guidance to subordinate managers and high-level staff specialists based on corporate goals and policy.
- Advises subordinates to help meet established schedules or resolve design, schedule, or resource problems.
- Analyzes strategies through researching, interviewing, and sourcing information to attain goals.
- Has overall responsibility for interfaces among high level outside contacts within the community, other senior management, and subordinates.
- Communicates business objectives with the Engineering organization.
- Provides orientation and on-the-job training for subordinates.
- Develop talent within the Engineering organization for succession and growth strategy.
- Ability to motivate employees toward very high goals in a dynamic and challenging environment
- Ability to mentor employees in specific technical and social areas.
- Successful senior management and operations experience in a complex organization.
- Demonstrated leadership in driving improvement in an engineering organization.
- A high energy level.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrated skill in the areas of delegation, developing direct reports, process management, business acumen, intellectual horsepower, managing multiple projects, making timely, high-quality decisions, and hiring subordinate leaders.
Education/Previous Experience Requirements
- BS degree in an engineering discipline. MS, MBA or other, pertinent advanced degreepreferred.