Engineering at 2U is fast paced, innovative and full of people passionate about delivering on the promise of higher education via technology. We’re growing rapidly and are seeking collaborative and results-driven individuals to join us. In return, we can offer you a fun learning environment where your skills, experience and creativity will make a material impact on the company’s success and its overall mission. Your tenure at 2U will be a highlight of your career.
We strive for our teams to be cross-functional, self-organizing and autonomous. You will be working directly with product managers, business analysts and your peers in a highly collaborative manner.
About The Role
We are looking for a thoughtful, collaborative and results-driven engineering leader with experience running teams of 5 to 10 engineers in an agile environment. You are a maker at heart and have experience in finding a balance between individual technical contribution and achieving results via your team. You are comfortable using and providing guidance in techniques like test driven development (TDD), pair programming and retrospectives.
Above all, you care about delivering quality software in a sustainable and timely manner. You have experience in, and passion for, building and running effective teams that deliver and thrive.
You are a competent maker, able to:
- Make direct technical contributions (writing, debugging, reviewing and deploying code).
- Provide technical guidance and feedback to your team members.
- Lead technical design of applications and participate in larger system design efforts.
- Advocate for end user needs in software you are building
You are a competent manager, able to own and direct your team in:
- Planning and execution of short and medium term projects
- Hiring, engaging and developing for members of your team. Occasionally help with hiring on adjacent ones
- Assessing, reporting and improving systems and processes in your charge
- Collaborating effectively with Product team (product managers, business analysts, and UX designers) to define and refine requirements
You have experience in (or clear potential for understanding) higher education ecosystem, 2U’s 3 year strategy and major goals, and can align and execute your team’s deliverables accordingly.
This position reports to Vice President, Engineering.