Less than 5 years
Posted 303 days ago
The University of Alabama at Birmingham is committed to providing our students with intellectually challenging and culturally enriching education abroad opportunities to complement our students' on-campus studies. The role of the Director of Education Abroad is to provide leadership in the continued development and implementation of a comprehensive portfolio of programs abroad. Currently, the Office of Education Abroad serves approximately 600 students annually; administering and establishing study abroad (student exchanges, affiliate programs, faculty-led programs), student organization travel abroad, and student conference travel abroad. The Office of Education Abroad is also home to UAB Passport Services, a full-service U.S. Department of State Passport Acceptance Facility.
The Director of Education Abroad position reports to the Senior Vice Provost and Senior International Officer. Key responsibilities include:
• Programs: ongoing curation of education abroad program portfolio; collects and vets proposals for new affiliate, exchange, faculty-led, and scholarship programs; establishes program budgets and timelines; develops program agreements and liaises with partner institutions and organizations; implements programs
• Outreach: responsible for development and implementation of student marketing strategy to meet education abroad participant growth goals; represents education abroad across the university, to the University of Alabama System, and to external organizations; communicates university policies regarding international activities across campus; effectively convenes and facilitates cooperation with diverse stakeholder groups with to achieve Office of Education Abroad goals
• Advisement and Student Services: manages outbound student pre-departure orientation and reentry programming; manages student advising for program selection, pecuniary questions, and academic planning; manages judicial, health, and safety issues; manages course articulation and credit posting prepares for emergency situations; oversees emergency response 24 hours a day
• Faculty-Led Program Support: Conducts training for faculty program leaders; facilitates operations between faculty leaders, logistics providers, overseas partners, university contracts, university financial affairs, and others; manages program proposal process and recruits faculty leaders
• Operations: Uses sound financial decision-making; responsibly tracks budgets; efficiently deploys office resources; leads the review/improvement of education abroad policies and operations; oversees education abroad contracts with Terra Dotta, Cultural Insurance Services International and others; actively monitors safety and security situation abroad; serves as university’s primary representative to the Overseas Security Advisory Council
• Management: hires, trains, supervises, evaluates, and mentors education abroad office staff (currently an advisor, a passport agent, an administrative support position, and several student assistants); resolves issues for unique situations encountered in consultation with the SVP/SIO
• Passport Services: responsible for all facets of Passport Acceptance Facility at UAB; liaises with U.S. Department of State; ensures compliance with policies and audit requirements; serves as backup acceptance agent
Bachelor's degree in a related field and three (3) years of related experience required. A master's degree in international education, higher education administration, geography, international studies, area studies, Spanish, French, or a related field is highly preferred. Work experience may NOT substitute for education requirement. Additionally, applicants must have studied or lived abroad for at least one semester.
Candidates with a doctoral degree and/or extensive experience in international education/related academic administration will be preferred. Also desired are professional work experience in a university education abroad office/study abroad program provider, completion of Forum on Education Abroad or NAFSA education abroad training, and/or experience using Terra Dotta.