The Director for Diversity, Inclusion and Employee Engagement will be responsible to partner with the Chief People Officer to strengthen and build a holistic DEI strategy, while supporting efforts to create the best possible workplace experience for all UUSA staff. The incumbent will proactively partner across all levels of the organization to develop, implement and track progress against ongoing strategic and tactical initiatives that enhance UUSA’s work environment, and develop and execute strategies to support a capable, engaged, and energetic employee community across all of UUSA. This individual will be based in New York, but will support these functions in all of UUSA’s offices and locations across the country. Additional responsibilities will include employee relations, organizational strategy and design, performance management, and organizational policy and procedures development. This position will have direct supervision for the Human Resources Associate, and report to the Chief People Officer.
Key Responsibilities/Outcomes (include but are not limited to):
Reporting to and in partnership with the Chief People Officer, responsible for the development and implementation of programs and services that promote diversity, equity and inclusion
- Proactively develop and implement programs and initiatives, plans, programs, partnerships, and activities that both educate and promote diversity, inclusion, and equity as core values of UUSA.
- Partnering with the Recruitment Team, identify evidence‐based best practices in recruitment, retention and promotion of a diverse, engaged workforce.
- In conjunction with the Professional Learning and Leadership Development team, develop practices, policies, trainings and related materials to create a culture that embraces equity, diversity, and inclusion at all levels, while highlighting the importance of maintaining a culturally sensitive work environment.
- Participate in strategic discussions to ensure consideration and impact of DEI in all of our policies, decisions and initiatives.
- Evaluate the current HR processes and recommend changes according to the industry practices.
- Collaborate with and provide DEI and overall organizational support to the two Regional Vice Presidents with regular check-ins and discussions to ensure the effective communication and connection to the Regional Offices.
- Partner with the President’s Office with relevant internal communications and organizing DEI related staff meetings (Town Halls, etc.), as required.
- Conduct an annual diversity, equity, and inclusion survey and report
- Collects annual reporting data for required EEO-1 reports, and report findings and recommended action plans to UUSA leadership
- Leverage reporting to promote transparency on progress and to track and analyze the effectiveness of inclusion initiatives and identify future priorities for our DEI efforts
Employee Engagement and Communications
- Partnering with internal stakeholders, provide oversight for employee communication, engagement, and retention strategy development and implementation, with particular emphasis on efforts to create a warm and welcoming environment unique to each UUSA location.
- Participate in coaching, counseling and advising management and staff to ensure resolution of employment related matters.
- Partner with the Human Resources Associate to implement new and enhance existing staff recognition and reward programs.
- Collaborate with and provide support to the two Regional Vice Presidents with regular check-ins and strategy discussions to ensure the effective communication and connection to the Regional Offices.
- Develop and implement opportunities for greater cross-collaboration between and within Headquarters and Regional Offices. Serve as a member of the UUSA Social Committee.
Human Resources Management
- In conjunction with the Human Resources Associate, manage the Performance Appraisal process and assist with goal development. Work with the Professional Learning and Leadership Development team on suggestions for individual training that will enhance growth and development.
- Prepare and analyze HR metrics and provide reports that support decision making in specified areas.
- Create and / or update policies, procedures, and guidelines as needed, including Child Safeguard Policies.
- All other duties and responsibilities, as assigned by the Chief People Officer.
The ideal candidate is someone who is deeply passionate about improving organizational outcomes and enhancing the employee experience through diversity, equity and inclusion strategies, has strong communication, influencing and program implementation skills, along with the ability to collaborate with a wide variety of employees, departments, leadership teams, and external partners as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred), and a minimum of 10 years of HR experience, including prior experience with diversity, equity and inclusion efforts.
- Experience overseeing HR functions in multiple markets and locations strongly preferred.
- Proven success at establishing/creating a positive culture in previous positions
- Familiarity with all aspects of HR, including compensation, recruitment, benefits, training
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills are essential, as is the ability to be flexible and adaptable.
- Must be a collaborative team player, possess a strong customer service orientation, and be a consultative problem solver
- Ability to advocate for both staff and management
- Highly proactive style of work, with a demonstrated track record of developing innovative approaches
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required. Knowledge of ADP Workforce Now desirable
- Must demonstrate UNICEF USA Core Values: Trust, Respect, Accountability, Innovation, Teamwork, and Service