The Director of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at Maine Medical Center reports to the Chief Operating Officer with secondary reporting to the Chief Human Resources Officer of MaineHealth. This role will inform the strategy and drive the development, implementation and evaluation of diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives across the institution.
The Director will cultivate strong and collaborative relationships with senior leadership, service lines, departments, providers and staff at all levels to assist in the generation of innovative strategies and identification of practical solutions to develop an engaged workforce of diverse talent, and to promote an inclusive and equitable environment.
The Director will provide guidance to the Maine Medical Center leadership team to ensure a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace that provides opportunity for internal mobility and external partnerships. This position will also serve as a consultant to senior leadership, medical staff and their teams to ensure that diversity, equity and inclusion are a part of the decision-making process throughout the organization.
Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- Bachelor's degree required; graduate/master's degree preferred
- Five years of related diversity, equity and inclusion leadership experience, including preparation and implementation of training materials and diversity initiatives; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, strong consultation and relationship management skills, demonstrated ability to lead and navigate in a large, complex, multi-cultural environment.
- Preferred certification in:
- SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP)
- SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP)
- Certified Diversity Professional (CDP)
- Certified Diversity Executive (CDE)
- Cornell Certified Diversity Professional (CCDP)
- Other diversity training or certification
- Strong organizational and presentation skills, work ethic, initiative and attention to detail.
- Experience implementing, measuring and improving effective diversity and inclusion programs.
- Knowledge of laws and regulations related to workplace diversity, affirmative action and equal employment opportunity.
- Demonstrated problem-solving, analytical, critical-thinking and decision-making skills.
- Process and results oriented in setting and pursuing goals, demonstrating a strong commitment to organizational success, and marshaling resources to accomplish goals and objectives.
- Effectively leads change by building trust and credibility.
- Provide expertise on the development and alignment of plans, polices, and guidelines that advance diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Collaborate with MMC's Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee.
- Develop and activate diversity, equity and inclusion strategies drawing on connections to the organization's overall mission, vision and values.
- Lead the creation of compelling and engaging initiatives, tools and programming that help leaders and employees actualize the benefits of inclusion for themselves, colleagues, and the organization.
- Collaborate with talent acquisition and workforce development teams to help drive a diverse talent pipeline and assist with integrating diversity, equity and inclusion strategy into workforce initiatives.
- Works with MaineHealth workforce development center on initiatives to identify diverse talent.
- Partner with Human Resources and other departments to advance diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Partner with education and training departments to develop curriculum to increase diversity, equity and inclusion awareness and skills.
- Collaborate closely with marketing and communications to promote diversity, equity and inclusion related events, and incorporate messaging and education into employee communication materials.