The YMCA of Greater Birmingham’s mission is to put Judeo-Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind, and body for all. The mission guides and directs the programs that operate within Y communities in Jefferson & Shelby Counties. It frames and focuses the Y’s influence with youth, families, and throughout communities. People are central to successfully executing the mission. The YMCA of Greater Birmingham is seeking a Director of Development who will help grow the Financial Development efforts, manage the administrative aspects of the Annual Campaign and related staff activities, as well as support the efforts to expand the volunteer base.
Responsibilities include: Developing the overall annual campaign plan for the association; assisting in organizing the branch campaigns; producing association-wide reports to ensure key performance indicators are tracked, monitored and met; leading the training and development for all staff and volunteers for the annual campaign; consulting with senior branch staff to ensure the success of their local campaigns; organizing association-wide events to support the volunteer inspiration and recognition; lead the creation and development of association-wide annual campaign communications materials; with association team, coordinate the external relations actions necessary to increase community awareness of the Ys cause and the role contributions play in bringing the case to life.
- Bachelor’s degree in Liberal Arts, Communications, Fund Development, Community Organizing, or a related field.
- One to two years of administrative experience, and either one to three years of community relations experience working with staff and volunteers, and/or five years of financial development experience.
- Excellent customer service, organizational, verbal and written skills required.
- Knowledge of a CRM database, Microsoft Office, direct response development including crowdfunding and social media management.
- Knowledge of fund development, board development, communications, photography a plus.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once and adjust priorities as requested.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Office environment. Intermittent sitting, standing, walking are required.
- Hours will include evening and weekend work.
- Travel among local branches will be required.
- Overall management of the Annual Campaign, in collaboration with the Chief Philanthropy Officer.
- Develop and execute a leadership annual giving ($2,000+) donor acquisition and cultivation plan, including connecting with YMCA alumni.
- Actively research donor prospects
- Ensure donor acknowledgements are appropriate and timely.
- Act as liaison between administrative staff and volunteers for fundraising events.
- Create and manage branch annual giving communication plan, which include quarterly campaign newsletters, press releases, press coverage, annual philanthropic impact reports, and development correspondence.
- Plan and manage staff training events and campaigners coaching.
- Identify potential fund development opportunities with the Chief Philanthropy Officer, including grant writing.
- Work in cooperation with Association staff on overall communications and public relations strategies.
- Work in cooperation with Association Office to develop timely and relevant email, crowdfunding and direct response campaigns to promote philanthropic efforts.
- Attend Board and Development committee meetings.
- Represent the YMCA at community events and meetings.
- Develop and implement association-wide donor recognition program for the annual giving effort.
- Uphold all Association policies while demonstrating the core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility.
- Actively participate in designated meetings, training sessions and special events.
Cause-Driven Leadership® Competencies
- Incorporates the Ys mission and values into the organization's vision and strategies
- Ensures community engagement
- Promotes the global nature of the Y
- Leads a culture of volunteerism ensuring engagement, inclusion, and ownership
- Leads a culture of philanthropy
- Advocates for and institutionalizes inclusion and diversity throughout the organization
- Initiates the development of relationships with influential leaders to impact and strengthen the community
- Is recognized as an inspirational community leader who navigates complex political and social circles with ease
- Communicates to engage and inspire people within and outside the YMCA
- Possesses penetrating insight and strong strategic and critical thinking skills
- Invests resources in well-designed innovation initiatives
- Develops and implements stewardship strategies
- Determines benchmarks and ensures appropriate leadership to meet objectives
- Creates a learning organization
- Effectively drives change by leveraging resources and creating alignment to expand organizational opportunities
- Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well
- Uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology