We�re building a movement - an education revolution. We�re building a world where anyone, anywhere can have access to the best education regardless of where they were born. At our core, we believe education is a right, not a privilege. To that end, we�re building a company and a suite of products to lead the charge in transforming access to education.
ApplyBoard is an online platform that empowers students around the world to access the best education by connecting international students, recruitment partners, and academic institutions. We simplify the study abroad search, application, and acceptance process. Not only do we help students with their study abroad journey, we also help academic institutions to find the best students globally. Our goal is to help enable better, more diverse, schools that are enriched with cultures from all over the world.
You will be leading the team responsible for delivering tools for recruitment partners to assist them with managing their student funnel as well as providing insights into their funnel. Your team will also help deliver ApplyBoard�s sales and sales management teams with tools and integrations to help manage the Recruitment Partners and Recruitment Partner funnels. This includes tools such as dashboards, reports, and full suites such as CRM or CRM-like capabilities.
Reporting to the VP of Engineering, as the Director of Development you are responsible for leading and mentoring a talented team of technical leads and developers, focusing on continuous improvement, software excellence, and maintaining a high performing development organization. This includes the development CI/CD pipeline, dev and production environments, as well as operational tasks and maintenance. ApplyBoard utilizes a modern approach and pipeline with all services being public cloud or SaaS-based. You will also work alongside engineering leadership to provide technical advice and insight into the technical roadmap as it relates to achieving business goals.
What you�ll be doing every day:
- Lead an experienced team of software engineers by providing leadership, guidance and enabling your team to shine and deliver to their full potential.
- Drive the execution and delivery for the ApplyBoard Platform and Products by collaborating with other teams.
- Lead change in seeking out continuous improvements and champion the adoption of best practices.
- Accountable for maintaining a high standard of product quality and code health.
- Work with Engineering leaders to proactively manage projects and deliverables and provide communications and updates to ensure cross-functional alignment of upcoming changes.
- Provide leadership, mentorship, education to DevOps team members as well as others in modern DevOps best practices and approaches.
- Continue recruiting and hiring to further build out the team to support ApplyBoard�s continued growth.
What you bring to the table:
- 10+ years experience in full-stack software development
- 5+ years of people management experience leading full-stack engineering teams building services, data systems, APIs and web applications
- Good understanding of agile methodologies
- Great communication skills. (Yes, everyone writes that - but we really mean it.)
- BSc/MSc in Engineering, Computer Science or relevant field
- Demonstrated ownership and pride in the quality of the software and infrastructure you work on, and the way that it succeeds in meeting the needs of its users
- Ability to explain and defend an informed opinion while maintaining an open mind
- Experience with engineering and operational practices and processes which promote incrementalism, frequent delivery and tight feedback loops - without sacrificing quality
- Strong depth of practical experience and knowledge of Amazon Web Services
Ideally, you also have experience with some of:
- Python, Ruby, Rails, React, Typescript
- Developing and maintaining products that are used by many thousands or millions of people
- EdTech, eCommerce, or content-management software
- Relational databases, ORM frameworks, and their alternatives
- Microservices or SOA; RESTful APIs, JSON
- Kafka, Amazon MQ, RabbitMQ or similar streaming or messaging systems
- AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, ELK stack
- Observability, Infrastructure as Code
- Service Ticketing Systems
What We Offer:
- The opportunity to have an impact on a product that is positively affecting change to thousands of students lives every day
- Working alongside a brilliant and globally diverse team based in Waterloo and Toronto
- Great compensation and benefits package to keep you healthy and happy!
Life At ApplyBoard: