$100K — $150K *
Job DescriptionReporting to the Assistant Dean for Advancement for the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Civic Engagement, the Director of Development serves as a major gift front-line fundraiser. Primary duties include further developing relationships with and soliciting existing Maxwell School prospects for annual and major gifts, as well as qualifying a large pool of identified alumni who have the capacity to support the priorities of the Maxwell School at a major gift level.
Qualifications• Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree preferred.
• Valid New York State Driver’s License required.
Job Specific Qualifications• Minimum of three (3) years of fundraising experience required.
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills required.
• Ability to formulate and execute long term strategies and manage multiple projects in a dynamic environment.
• Mature and professional attitude, customer/client focus; highly developed interpersonal skills; energetic and detail oriented.
• Exceptional relationship building with the ability to manage and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders.
• Experience with volunteer recruitment and management.
• Familiarity with fundraising in the field of higher education or philanthropic communities.
• Strong computer literacy skills including MS Word and database management are required.
• Commitment to higher education and a strong desire to associate with Syracuse University and champion its mission.
• Flexible and strategic, with the ability to juggle numerous competing priorities.
• Exceptional personal initiative and the ability to drive results.
• Effective communicator, articulate and persuasive.
• Energetic, proactive with a hands-on style.
• Bright and creative with an executive presence to represent the organization to multiple constituents.
Responsibilities• Actively manage a portfolio of existing and prospective major gift donors. Meet with prospects and maintain ongoing communication with them. Introduce them to the advancement and academic leaders as well as current students and alumni leaders.
• Creatively engage prospects with the life of the college through curated campus experiences and events and gatherings in their communities. Involve prospects with alumni volunteers and leaders on various boards and councils.
• Solicit prospects for major gifts at the leadership level or above. Execute and close major gifts for the Maxwell School, with an emphasis on gifts at $100,000+ level.
• Conduct all stages of the major gift solicitation process: qualify, cultivate, solicit, and steward.
• Work collaboratively with college based and central AEA colleagues, including advancement services, research and prospect systems, alumni engagement, annual giving, corporate and foundation relations, principal gifts and university communications.
• Develop and maintain relationships with college faculty, administrators and staff volunteers.
• Responsible for coordinating the data entry and maintenance of Maxwell related development records, interactions, and donor/prospect files via CITRUS in collaboration with AEA central units.
• Report results and solicitation schedule of all major gift efforts to the Assistant Dean. Produce visit calendar. Generate development reports and system contact reports.
• Assist the Assistant Dean as needed on special projects.
Valid through: 10/19/2020