Day-to-day activities include partnering with the VP, Asset Management, Core Division and managing the development team in cooperation with key constituents such as leasing, property management, financial analysts, and asset managers to plan, build, and deliver desired economic results with a high degree of quality design.
- Lead and manage the company’s real estate development and construction activities in the New York region (Northern New Jersey, New York City, Long Island and Westchester County).
- Manage the effective interaction of a variety of key stakeholders including development and construction personnel, financial analysts, property managers, leasing, external community groups, and third party development service providers to advance and successfully deliver on project and business objectives.
- Provide management and support of operational activities in the New York region.
- Complete strategic planning for development opportunities.
- Serve as primary point of contact for development projects with partner agencies, community organizations, political officials and others in existing and new properties.
- Obtain entitlements and permits required to proceed with development.
- Meet with public agencies and neighborhood groups to develop support.
- Manage the design process including master planning, civil engineering, architecture, traffic engineering, geotechnical, environmental, lighting, landscape and graphic design.
- Negotiate partnership deal structures with public agencies and other private developers, if applicable, for components of the developments.
- Work with leasing agents to establish merchandising plans and lease-up schedules; develop lease exhibits and tenant criteria; review anchor tenant leases.
- Negotiate construction contracts and work with in house construction representatives to manage general contractors through the design process to confirm budgets, schedule and constructability. Assist construction to successfully manage the project through completion.
- Create and manage the development pro-forma; work with financial analysts and development accounting to create and maintain systems that provide accurate cost reporting.
- Create and manage the development schedule.
- Oversee construction administration activities, including monitoring construction progress and quality, administering the development budget and coordinating contractor payments.
- Work with VP Asset Management to identify, source and initiate acquisition opportunities in the New York Region.
Our client is seeking a dynamic Director of Development to join the Boston/New York team with knowledge of the New York regional marketplace and experience in core retail shopping center development. The Director is responsible for strategic investment management and project execution for the development and redevelopment and integration of new and existing retail assets.
- 7+ years of real estate development experience, solid experience in retail real estate development and knowledge of the New York regional marketplace
- Strong foundation in core shopping center operations
- Bachelor’s Degree (or higher) in Real Estate, Business, Management, or other related field required
- Proven in depth knowledge of and experience with engineering and architectural plan
- Working knowledge of contract law, zoning law, real estate finance, and construction management
- Analytical, with strong financial analysis skills and an excellent attention to detail.
- Experience negotiating purchases and all required permits and entitlements and negotiating and working with municipalities and community groups on development, zoning, and planning issues
- Organized with a strong work ethic; committed to the delivery of highest quality work product
- Outstanding leadership and project management skills with the ability to oversee projects to completion on time and on budget
- Excellent financial acumen with the demonstrated ability to evaluate the feasibility and constructability of projects
- Exceptional negotiating and structuring skills
- Real estate investment savvy with the ability to quickly assess both the qualitative and quantitative aspects of a repositioning
- Strong management skills including the proven ability to motivate and guide a team consisting of multiple stakeholders of varying disciplines
- Highly collaborative nature with emphasis on soliciting feedback from team members in order to gain buy in and feedback
- Motivated, self-starter with the proven ability to work under pressure in a fast paced, dynamic environment with minimal supervision and to successfully function in a team environment, effectively communicating and sharing information with individuals in other departments within the company
- Highly effective communicator, both written and oral, with excellent presentation skills
- Ability to travel +50