Base + bonus + stock options
- The Director of service deli and food service is directly responsible for all aspects of managing and supervising a successful department.
- Management experience of at least 5-8years that includes managing a food service operation within an upscale supermarket and restaurant environment.
- Must have direct chef and kitchen management experience.
- A successful candidate would have a college degree or completed a culinary school degree program.
- A proven track record of successful department management within a supermarket environment.
- Must possess a high degree of leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Must be a “foodie”.
- Must be proactive and ahead of the food trends.
- A proven track record of managing multiple stores and locations.
- Must possess excellent communication skills both verbally and written.
- Must possess a high level of PC skills to include Microsoft office suite
- Must possess a background and understanding of category management.
- Must be extremely creative and have excellent teaching skills.
- Possess the highest degree of understanding food safety and governmental and health department regulations and standards.
- Understand equipment needs and expectations.
- Possess excellent associate and vendor management skills.
- Must be a good negotiator with excellent analysis abilities
- Must be self-motivated and solution oriented, with good follow through.
- Detail oriented with excellent organizational and multi-task skills.
The Director of Food Service’s prime responsibilities are to effectively manage the total operation of Gelson’s service deli food service program. Key focus on managing sales, profitability, merchandising, marketing and quality control. In addition to effectively direct and supervise all functions and activities of the department’s personnel so that they can achieve the sales and profits goals established for the department; to ensure that all associates exceed the customer’s expectations. The Director is responsible for overseeing department profitability, marketing and maintaining clean, well-organized departments that comply with all Federal, State, and local health service and safety agencies.
· A daily plan that insures Company objectives are communicated and followed through. (to Supervisors and Department Managers)
· Provide leadership, guidance and assist in the training and development of Associates assigned to Department Management positions.
· Ongoing daily store visits to evaluate all aspects of our operation that it meets or exceeds our high standards.
Merchandising & Marketing
· Ensure that all Policies and Procedures are being followed.
· Review with Supervisors/Department Managers all memorandums from Management.
· Ensure the accuracy of the inventory process.
· Ensure safe care and maintenance of all tools and equipment is taught to all Associates.
· Monthly audits of tare weights (packaging) and scale tests in accordance with Department of Weights and Measures.
· Develop, communicate and educate shrink awareness to team.
· Ensure product is fresh. Evaluate shelf life and code dates
· Ensure proper receiving practices are being utilized.
· Oversee all sanitation and good housekeeping in accordance with Department of Health services.
· Ensure that all stores maintain proper levels of staffing, labor hours, proper scheduling, and supply ordering and customer service.
· Enforce Company Policies and Procedures in the area of H.A.C.C.P.
· Enforce food safety levels that meet Federal, State, and City levels expectations.
· Ensure that quality personnel are being developed and trained.
· Ensure associates are following all safety policies and procedures. Including providing a safe workplace.
· Assist struggling stores to meet or exceed Company expectations.
· Provide Management with updates of retail prices from immediate competition.
· Measure sell through and recommend changes to increase sales and reduce shrink.
· Develop and administer profit, payroll and fiscal budget guidelines, under the direction of the VP of Meat, Seafood and Service Deli.
· Maintain Company standards as they relate to product, policies, and procedures.
· Review labor scheduling for proper balance of service and production, while trying to optimize labor for overall control of costs.
· Analyze and evaluate Department performance for customer satisfaction. Utilizing the Customer Service shopping reports to identify opportunities.
· Develop programs and items that will enhance the needs of our customer base and measure the results.
· Evaluate staffing and make any operational changes necessary to improve store operations.
· Address and resolve any store issues or concerns on a daily basis.
· Conduct regular meetings with Department Managers to discuss performance results, exceptions and accountability for budgets and guidelines.
· Encourage staff to share new ideas regarding customer service programs.
· Inspire and motivate staff to deliver exceptional service through leadership and example.
· Ensure a favorable department image by providing prompt, courteous assistance in a clean environment.
· Participate in the training and development of all direct reports.
· Document, review, and deliver annual performance evaluations on all direct reports. And ensure direct reports are doing the same with their reports.
· Address any Associate’s concerns or issues in a fair and timely manner.
· Encourage and supportcareer development through educational classes and industry workshops.
· Ensure that all direct reports adhere and comply with all Company Policies.
· Ensure that all Associates have the tools, equipment, skills, and knowledge to perform the job requirements.
· Regular store visits to ensure compliance of upper Management’s expectation in view of Company’s guidelines. Under normal situations, each should be visited a minimum of twice a month. Focus on the operational concern of stores.
· Bring to upper Management’s attention any issues or concerns, including customer service.
· Upon completion of store visits, utilizing a pre-agreed upon list of focus items, report back to the V.P. of Perishables with any concerns.
· Regular meetings with direct reports to review Company status, direction, and Department financial performance.
· Ensure that projects are completed in a timely fashion.
· Able to communicate effectively with others and embrace change with enthusiasm.
· Must be self-motivated and solution oriented, with good follow through.
· Detail oriented with excellent organizational and multi-task skills.