SUMMARY: Reporting to the Director of Enterprise Analytics, the Director of Data Science and Engineering is part of BankUnited's newly formed Analytics Center of Excellence (CoE). This dynamic team of talented professionals is tasked with the development of a comprehensive advanced analyticsinfrastructure for the purpose of delivering high value analytic solutions and/or tools to enable data-driven strategic decision-making. The successful candidate will assume tactical leadership of a team of data scientists and engineers. The team operates in an Agile-based fast paced environment. Every team member is expected to be highly analytical, collaborative, creative and have strong communication skills. The successful candidate will have experience managing complex multidisciplinary projects integrating various aspects of cloud and data technology with analytics.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties and special projects may be assigned.
- Tactical hands on leadership of a team of data scientists and data engineers.
- Coaches other team members, shares knowledge and leads occasional enterprise wide educational efforts.
Modeling / Analytics:
- Mines data sets and leverages advanced analytics / predictive modeling techniques to develop models or otherwise gain insights.
- Develops test plans, ensures results accuracy from both a methodology and statistical standpoint.
- Helps visualize results in an informative, business friendly way to assist in strategic decision-making.
- Works collaboratively with team members and stakeholders from various parts of the organization (primarily IT) to advance the development of the analytics platform as well as to improve the existing data infrastructureneeded to support the above initiatives.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in a STEM field, Advanced degree preferred.
- 6+ years relevant experience, preferred
- Advanced knowledge and expertise in predictive modeling, toolsets and machine learning.
- Demonstrated track record of successfully managing large scale multidisciplinary projects.
- Proficiency in programming languages, particularly R, Python and SQL.
- Experience with visualization tools such as Tableau.
- Solid knowledge of current technology data architecture, particularly data lakes and cloud environments.
- Ability to understand the business context and value derived from the various business cases undertaken.
- Strong interpersonal skills to manage relationships across different divisions within the entire company.
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) with the ability to articulate complex concepts into a format digestible by a diverse audience.
- Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines, manage competing initiatives and adapt to an ever changing work pace with a focus on accuracy and attention to detail.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Direct experience working on the Amazon Web Services (AWS) analytics platform.
- Experience in financial services.
- Prior experience managing direct reports.
- Prior experience working in an Agile framework.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Agile / Scrum Master preferred
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) Professional certification preferred.
COMMUNICATION/LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to speak, read and write in the English language; Spanish (or other languages) helpful. Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos; write simple correspondence; and effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, & other employees of the organization.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals; and compute rate, ratio, and percent; and to draw and interpret bar graphs. An understanding of higher mathematical concepts may be required for specific departments.
REASONING AND ANALYSIS ABILITY: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form; and deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Strong experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic business environment.
- Required to be highly creative and collaborative. An ideal candidate would be expected to collaborate with both the business and IT teams to define the business problem, refine the requirements, and design and develop data deliverables accordingly. The successful candidate will also berequired to have regular discussions with data consumers on optimally refining the data pipelines developed in nonproduction environments and deploying them in production.
- Required to have the accessibility and ability to interface with, and gain the respect of, stakeholders at all levels and roles within the company.
- Is a confident, energetic self-starter, with strong interpersonal skills.
- Has good judgment, a sense of urgency and has demonstrated commitment to high standards of ethics, regulatory compliance, customer service and business integrity.