Our Customers are at the heart of what drives us as a company. The Customers team is responsible for helping customers and prospects understand the impact that providing exceptional customer service can have on their business, and how Help Scout can play a role in making it possible.
As the Director of Custom Success, you’ll lead Help Scout in building out our Customer Success playbook from the ground up. You’ll grow a small team focused on proactively helping our small to medium customers after their trial. This role is for you if you are data driven and customer centric, and you’ve always wanted the chance to grow your own team and set your own strategic vision at a company that shares your values. Our ideal hire is motivated by what we’re doing as a company, believes in the importance of quality support, and is eager to contribute to the success of our customers.
*This is a full-time, remote position. You’re someone who thrives working autonomously and don’t need oversight to get things done.
*We’re looking for someone who can work Monday - Friday, 9a-5pm in your time zone. For this role, we’re ideally looking for someone within time zones in the Americas (from GMT-10 to GMT-3), but we’ll hire anywhere for the right person.
About the Role
- You’ll experiment and develop a playbook for helping our small to medium customers get the most value for their business using Help Scout.
- You will lead and grow the Customer Success function by setting strategy and prioritizing Objectives and Key Results (OKRs).
- You’ll become a Help Scout product expert so you can understand how to be most helpful.
- In your first 12 months, you’ll hire, train, and develop a team of 2-4 customer-centric product experts.
- You’ll lean on tech and 1:many models first, but use 1:1 interactions when they can have a significant impact for customers.
- You’ll make data driven strategic decisions, and have a deep understanding of Help Scout customer metrics and how your team impacts them.
- You’ll collaborate with other teams to identify and experiment with new customer growth opportunities.
- You’ll benefit from the Customers team’s strong existing feedback loop with our Product team, and you’ll work directly with the Customers team’s Product Support Analysts to document customer feedback.
- You’ll work with our Support and Product Support teams (the rest of the Customers team) to gain key insights on possible areas for experimentation.
- Salary: We have an internal transparent salary matrix for each team. Read more about how we approach compensation here! For this role, we have $125,000 to $140,000 USD slated in the budget.
- You are a compassionate, humble, and curious leader who loves solving problems and experimenting with new solutions.
- You have experience developing and contributing to an effective Customer Success strategy, particularly for SMB customers.
- You have experience aligning with executive leadership around definitions and goals for churn, retention, product adoption.
- You are confident in setting clear, measurable metrics goals for your team, as well as determining how you measure your team’s success.
- You diligently engage and reflect on feedback and failure because you know there is always something to learn from and get better in.
- You are data-driven and love figuring out how proactive customer help can impact user retention, product adoption, and churn.
- You believe in doing right by the customer - a successful customer is one making the best use of the product they’re paying for.
- You have experience building and managing a small team of Customer Success professionals.
- You’re patient, an active listener, and an incredible communicator.
- You’re a knowledgable CRM admin who loves to dive into the guts of setting up systems. (We use HubSpot, Looker, and Heap, but we’ll work together to get you any other software or tools you need.)
- You believe that Customer Success is about improving customer experience by keeping the voice of customer front and center.