The Director of Credit Risk Review is responsible for constructively challenging the overall credit risk and related attributes of Comerica Incorporated's loan portfolios, with an emphasis on attendant modeled results. This role requires an individual to provide informed, credible, cogent, detailed and well documented evidence that Comerica's Risk Department has independently influenced or challenged business line decisions to ensure that exposures are appropriately governed or controlled, along with creating and implementing the appropriate process, controls and methodology to do so. Additionally, the role is responsible for quantitatively and qualitatively challenging the Allowance for Loan and Lease Loss (ALLL) process and quarterly results and, as needed, developing new methodologies, techniques and strategies to comply with evolving regulatory and accounting guidance as it pertains to effective challenge.
The Director of Credit Risk Review reports to the Director of Corporate Development Strategy & Risk.
Successful incumbents possess strong verbal and written communication skills, are accountable, detail oriented, exhibit strong time management skills and are organized.
1. Challenge Credit Risk Factors and Model Outputs
- Builds independent challenge into credit risk management processes and clearly documents in policies and procedures
- Identifies and challenges factors that are likely to cause estimated forward credit losses to differ from historical loss experience
- Provides thought leadership and challenges the output and application of various inputs and reports, including but not limited to: Annual Plan inputs, Long Term Strategic Plan Credit inputs, House Limits, Portfolio Concentrations and HLT (Highly Leveraged Transaction) Calculations
- Independently challenges results and reviews directional consistency, as qualitative factors often require a significant level of managerial judgment
- Independently develops and engages in critical analysis and challenge of models results/outputs, identify limitations or deficiencies and suggest appropriate changes
- Leads independent review of model output for reasonableness and applicability to the areas being reviewed
- Leads independent review of modeling output for applicability to stated strategies or management recommendations, particularly for risk ratings (Borrower and Facility rating tools used in quantifying credit risk measurement in the Business Bank, Retail Bank, and Wealth Management)
- Identifies, if any, the lack of directional consistency between the allowance estimates and underlying credit, economic or strategic indicators to provide management sufficient time to correct
- Oversees the independent challenge of credit-related components of Comprehensive Capital Analysis & Review (CCAR), mid-year stress test, risk rating and current expected credit loss (CECL)
- Assesses ALLL (Allowance for Loan and Lease Losses) calculations and leads related independent challenge (Master Scale, Loss Given Defaults, Probability of Default) to help ensure that results are comprehensive, well-documented and consistently applied.
- Establishes process to clearly document challenge escalation, resolution, issue management and governance in both policies and practice
- Establishes collaborative lines of communication between the quantitative experts and internal senior business leaders
- Eidence challenges through detailed meeting minutes at both management and board levels
2. Regulatory / Governance / Compliance
- Supports governance processes
- May interact with various regulatory agencies
- Assigns work load reflecting the team members skill set and experience with an eye toward cross training, development, and timely and quality task completion
- Leads, coaches and manages team members; develops and trains a high-performing team including the development of business acumen relating to credit and lending practice relevant to credit risk models
- Manages personnel processes for managers and employees, including selection, training, performance management, compensation, disciplinary actions, talent management, development and retention
- Leads the team's efforts related to diversity and inclusion
Travel is not required of this position.
Relocation is available for this position.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited university
- 10 years portfolio risk, credit risk and/or credit review experience
Preferred Qualifications / Experience
- 10 years Commercial & Industrial credit and/or lending experience
- 6 years ALLL (Allowance for Loan and Lease Losses) practice experience
- 6 years credit portfolio management experience
- 4 years management experience
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Monday - Friday.