The Director of Creative for Herman Miller Retail will help develop and execute creative vision and execution that deliver brand and business objectives for the Herman Miller Retail brands: Herman Miller, Design Within Reach and Hay. In this highly visible and strategic role, the Director of Creative will drive and lead the translation of marketing objectives into creative strategies, generating creative ideas, branded initiatives, and consumer programs for execution across all channels and customer touchpoints.
What you’ll do:
- Oversee all creative direction and development across owned, earned and paid channels for Retail.
- Create compelling visuals and stories across various platforms and mediums including, but not limited to: web, stores, social, catalog and direct mail, print and digital advertising, etc.
- Partner with Director of Editorial to ensure brand visuals and voice are strategically aligned. Ensure messaging is consistent and engaging across all customer touch-points.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams and lead creative briefing sessions cross-departmentally to clarify business needs and key deliverables.
- Manage relationships with internal & external creative partners: agencies, freelancers and contributors.
- Manage, motivate and set direction for the internal creative team, including Art Directors for all three brands. Train, mentor and grow individuals—providing guidance, clear direction, problem solving and people management.
- Collaborate with the leadership team to ensure creative projects and direction are aligned with key business needs and priorities.
- Represent key creative work and concepts internally to leadership and assume responsibility for the delivery of high performing, brand aligned communications and experiences.
- Regularly communicate with global creative peers to understand and support current initiatives and standards, and to identify opportunities to leverage content to drive efficiencies.
- Research and maintain knowledge of emerging design themes and contract industry trends.
- Serve as the expert on a consistent brand visual language.
- Perform additional responsibilities as requested to achieve business objectives.
Does this sound like you?
- A Bachelor's degree in Art, Graphic Design, Marketing, Communications or a related field.
- 10 years of experience in a creative role.
- Five years of management or project leadership experience.
- An intimate understanding of design, copy, and web best practices/guidelines.
- A strong understanding of brand development and multichannel marketing concepts.
- The ability to inspire, lead, and manage an extended team of creative resources and talent.
- Outstanding written/verbal communication skills, and a proven capability to present complex concepts in a concise and understandable way to a variety of audiences, including the highest level of the organization.
- An ability to "read the room;" manage up, down, and sideways; and communicate information, ideas, procedures, and process in a logical sequence and at a level appropriate to the audience.
- The ability to work collaboratively and to teach, coach, monitor, and influence key stakeholders at various levels of the organization (i.e., employees, visitors, and vendors).
- Strong relationship and consensus-building skills to manage projects in a complex matrixed environment.
- The ability to lead, influence, and work with all levels in the organization.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to easily make connections among previously unrelated notions.
- The ability to investigate and analyze complex data and generate new ideas and solutions to resolve problems quickly and efficiently.
- An expert ability to think strategically and execute tactically.
As the Director of Creative, you'll be eligible for Herman Miller Retail's comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance, paid holidays, parental leave, green transit subsidy and more.