Director of Corporate Reputation & Media Relations
LS&Co. is seeking an accomplished communicator to join our Corporate Affairs team. This is an important leadership role that will be responsible for shaping and protecting LS&Co.’s reputation as one of the most cutting-edge, socially-responsible and values-led global brands. This individual will be responsible for setting the strategic direction for external communications across a number of highly visible, high-stakes areas for the company including: global supply chain, innovation, sustainability, community/philanthropy and public affairs. We're looking for a passionate storyteller with deep experience in strategic communications, media relations, and crisis/issues management, plus strong experience with sustainability and corporate social responsibility.
As a member of the Corporate Reputation team, this individual will partner closely with Global Supply Chain, the Levi Strauss Foundation and Corporate Affairs colleagues (Internal Communications, Regional Communications and Public Affairs) to develop and execute strategic communications programs across owned and earned media and key stakeholder communities.
Strategy & Thought Leadership
- Set the strategy and vision for global external communications in support of: Supply Chain, Public Affairs and the Levi Strauss Foundation.
- Develop, plan, manage and execute communications strategies in support of legislative, industry and community activities to build awareness and thought leadership around sustainability (social and environmental), innovation and philanthropy.
- Translate global strategies into a cohesive narrative; Develop message platforms to create differentiation and competitive advantage; Monitor message pull-through and measure message effectiveness and impact.
Media Relations & Issues Management
- Provide strategic direction on major media programs, campaigns, and events; Strong awareness of the media landscape and established relationships with media/analysts across a variety of sectors and leverages these relationships to secure strategic media opportunities.
- Shape in-depth feature stories and day-to-day news bureau; Lead reactive media efforts.
- Actively monitor news landscape and stay on top of key issues and industry developments.
- Serve as company spokesperson.
- Manage external agencies as appropriate.
Stakeholder & Executive Engagement
- Create and foster relationships with key industry stakeholders/influencers and lead the development and execution of influencer programs.
- Guide executive visibility strategy for speakers’ bureau and awards program.
- Responsible for coaching and advising senior leaders as spokespersons and provide hands-on support for external engagements.
- Partner with Investor Relations, Legal and other stakeholders as necessary to ensure compliance with disclosure guidelines.
Content Creation & Project Management
- Ability to write and edit all materials; Create and edit presentations and plans.
- Work with global and regional teams to develop actionable and cohesive storytelling toolkits to maximize exposure and impact of proactive communications programs.
- Manage and track project plans, timelines, and related project management assets.
- Take data-driven and collaborative storytelling approach across all mediums and channels.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Writing, English, Communication, PR or related discipline.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in communications
- Proven ability to effectively manage external communications with extensive media relations experience; high comfort level working with media during times of crisis
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills; Ability to write for senior leaders
- Deep knowledge of sustainability and corporate social responsibility
- Strong leadership, influencing, coaching and negotiation skills
- Outstanding project management skills; Deep understanding of how to build and implement global and regional communications strategies tailored for different audiences
- Demonstrated ability to build consensus among diverse audiences; ability to manage sensitive and confidential matters with utmost discretion
- Strong business acumen and a good knowledge of current affairs
- Professional posture and foresight; Demonstrated ability to present complex business ideas, strategies and results succinctly and persuasively at the senior executive level
- Understanding of communications measurement
- Corporate communications experience in a large multi-national company or a global consumer brand
- Mix of agency and in-house experience preferable
- Experience with sustainability issues and knowledge of supply chain concepts preferable
- Experience partnering with public affairs preferable
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally
- Strong judgment and critical thinking skills; a creative, solutions-oriented thinker
- Exceptional collaboration skills with the ability to partner effectively within and outside of core department
- Performs well under pressure and consistently meets deadlines; Ability to lead multiple projects simultaneously and track projects with varying deadlines
- Confident, energetic and has an interest in youth culture and apparel
- Interested in making a difference in the communities where we operate
- Brings the technical capability to work pragmatically and through people to deliver results