The Director of Corporate Health & Safety is responsible for developing, implementing, and maintaining an effective and innovative occupational health & safety program, with the objective of promoting a strong health & safety culture, securing safety, and minimizing risk. This individual is expected to be a partner and advisor across all of the company’s Sectors in all aspects of corporate health and safety.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop the strategy and manage the implementation and maintenance of a comprehensive and sustainable occupational health and safety program designed to prevent injury and occupational illness..
- Oversee the designated safety liaisons in all Sectors and their activities relating to safety policy and program implementation.
- Lead the compliance efforts across all CHA offices and job sites by staying abreast of local, state, federal, and international environmental, health & safety (EHS) regulations.
- Review the company’s health and safety policies regularly with the applicable legislation and client requirements, recommend proposed changes to senior management, and update and effectively communicate approved policy revisions.
- Develop and implement safety training objectives including the development of a corporate training program that meets both the company’s client requirements and the company health & safety goals.
- Provide advisement and support to the Market and Sector teams on health & safety related pre-qualification responses and prepare quality and thorough health and safety plans.
- Establish and conduct regular health and safety job site visits at regular intervals and observe that the company and client protocols are being properly adhered to while documenting meeting minutes and action items.
- Develops and leads preparation and planning to support emergencies including severe weather, global pandemics, civil unrest, and other disasters.
- Represent the company in inspections and hearing conducted by OSHA and other regulatory agencies.
- Manage the facility incident and near miss investigation process to ensure incidents are reported in a timely manner, root causes are identified, and corrective actions are tracked through closure.
- Effectively manages health and safety budget to devote resources to areas of greatest impact.
- Evaluate company exposure to loss through risk identification, assessment and control.
- Lead efforts to identify, recommend, develop, and implement best practices for Company safety programs and help ensure standardization company-wide
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- A minimum of 10 years in H&S management systems and process development, including 5 in a leadership capacity.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) skills
- Effective facilitation, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Firm understanding of OSHA regulations and other applicable health and safety regulatory requirements.
- Experience in architectural, engineering, and construction (A/E/C) industry required.
- Proven ability with program implementation and mitigation of health and safety risks in the workplace.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- CPR and First Aid certifications required; other applicable health and safety certifications preferred.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) preferred.
EDUCATION AND LICENSURE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Health & Safety or related field.