Director of Contractual Sourcing
at Echo Global LogisticsChicago, IL
Oversee and manage contract TL services for MT Operations to obtain best financial and operational position for our clients. Manage a team to ensure superior support for the business, clients, & carrier partners. This role will report directly to VP of Solutions & Implementation.
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and implement the Contract TL purchasing strategy for MT Operations including carrier contract negotiation, carrier performance management, and carrier corrective action programs. Ensure all aspects are clearly understood by stakeholders
- Negotiate and procure contract TL carrier services for clients within ManagedTransportation.
- Develop and deliver tangible carrier Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) that drive improvement within the contract TL transportation function with proven results. Ensure requirements and service performance expectations are delivered at optimal cost levels.
- Work collaboratively across Business Development, Solutions, Implementation, & MT Operations to ensure high customer service levels.
- Manage key internal and external relationships with contract carriers, 3PLs and company employees to maximize business opportunities while minimizing costs. Leverage relationships along with technology to increase efficiencies and decrease costs across teams and departments.
- Design and develop internal dashboards to measure carrier performance and capacity needs as required.
- Conduct internal client network freight reviews and report on trends, allocations and opportunities.
- Develop and mentor staff through on-boarding, open communication, training and development opportunities and performance management processes; build and maintain employee morale and motivation; ensure the team is appropriately staffed with required competencies
- Lead continuous improvement initiatives to deliver in all KPI’s. Identify, evaluate, prioritize, and implement change to drive reduced costs & higher levels of client service.
- Act as functional expert for Echo Waterfall (TLRG)
- Develops and maintains external relationships representing Echo to ensure market visibility and brand enhancement (i.e. customers, shippers, carriers, industry)
- Will act as an industry expert around North American TL market conditions and help Account Management prepare quarterly client market updates
- Manage team responsible for maintaining accurate rate tables within Echo’s systems
- Other duties or responsibilities as assigned
KEY FUNCTIONAL AND LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES
The ability to influence and build consensus across functions is an essential skill for this role. Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills are required along with an ability to deliver ongoing performance improvements to KPI’s. Also critical to the role is effective communication skills.
- Strategic influencing
- Supplier Management and partnering
- Building effective teams
- Bias for action and delivery of results
- Trade off decisions on cost versus service
Relevant Work Experience
- 5 years progressive experience with contract TL bids, carrier negotiations, & people management
- Thorough knowledge of carrier pricing components and market forces
- Strong knowledge of logistics and transportation industry
- Working knowledge of TMS Systems, Carrier connectivity options and Industry Requirements
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including proficiency presenting to both internaland external audiences
- Excellent analytical skills
- High Proficiency with data analysis tools, including Microsoft Excel and Access