As part of the enterprise Strategy Office, the Director of Competitive Intelligence will build and lead a new capability for Thrivent to understand the external environment, assess whether organizational capabilities are strong enough to handle competitive threats, and drive strategic choices to address competitive threats. Collects and organizes information and translates it in a compelling way into intelligence and predictions. Builds relationships and collaborates effectively with executives, business areas, and external stakeholders to understand the holistic environment and drive change in support of growth.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Build and maintain a high-performing team that provides competitive intelligence insights and strategy recommendations to executives and key stakeholders. Develop, reward and recognize team members.
- Develop and apply the right systems, programs, platforms, tools to surface competitive intelligence, develop insights and socialize.
- Monitor and analyze information, results and trends for key competitors, the financial services industry, membership organizations, and other forces of the competitive environment that could affect our business.
- Challenge assumptions about current and future competitive threats and identify stakeholder biases that can compromise analyses.
- Partner with enterprise-wide business areas to tap their competitive wisdom, collect it and translate it into intelligence for the organization. Business areas include: Product Manufacturing, Distribution, Customer Experience, Membership, Legal.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on the competitive landscape, provide competitive intelligence support for key projects and business areas, and communicate intelligence in compelling ways to the Board of Directors and executives.
- Collaborate with executives, business areas, and Strategy Office to develop strategy by assessing whether organizational capabilities are strong enough to handle competitive threats and to enact change related to those threats.
Required Job Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree and at least 8 years of functional experience in market and/ or competitive intelligence, research and analysis required. The ideal candidate will be currently operating in a similar role analyzing trends across the financial services market and translating into insights.
- Excellent business acumen required. High level of knowledge of financial services industry and products, including life insurance, annuity, health insurance, mutual funds, banking preferred.
- Experience leading high-performing teams and coaching them to collaborate and deliver results.
- Strategic thinker with excellent analytic and creative problem-solving skills. Ability to assimilate and interpret data from various sources and make strategic choice recommendations using a combination of commercial judgement and analytic insight.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Experience preparing communication for senior executives and summarizing analysis into compelling narratives.
- Success working with multiple levels across the organization and gaining support of senior leadership. Enjoys working in cross-functional teams and developing collegial relationships.
- Demonstrates curiosity around the external environment, macro trends and current events.
Other Critical Factors
- Experience with Competiscan and/or other competitive intelligence solutions preferred.
- Knowledge of membership organizations and customer experience also helpful.
- Ability to travel (~10%)
You don't need to be Christian to join our team. You do need the passion to guide our members on their Wise With Money Journey, equipping them to live more content, confident and generous lives. Thrivent strives to provide an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) without regard to race, religion, color, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, sex, genetic information, or any other status or condition protected by applicable state or federal laws. This policy applies to all employees and job applicants.