Summary Description of Position
Lead responsibility for the Community and Governmental Relations programs for the Southwest and Mountain West Divisions of Vulcan Materials Company, covering Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and Oklahoma.
Researches, develops, plans, designs, maintains, and implements policies and programs that enhance the Company’s reputation and relations with the community, the public, government and regulatory authorities and employees, and that contribute to the Company’s continued growth.
Works closely with the other functional leaders of the Company’s CR/GR Department to share best practices and support the overall goals of the Company. Represents Vulcan Materials Company in legislative and regulatory matters in the state capitols of the Southwest and Mountain West Divisions.
Develops and maintains policies and programs to ensure organizational awareness of government legislation and regulatory issues that affect the organization and responds to same. Responsible for the community relations strategy and programs for the Southwest and Mountain West Divisions.
Leads management and coordination of the Divisions’ communications with news and trade media, social media, and through special events, public speaking or other means to reach defined audiences and meet specific program objectives.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops communications that enhance the Divisions’ and the Company’s reputation and effectively tells its story to key external and internal stakeholders.
- Works to ensure that the Divisions’ community relations programs and initiatives are best-in-class in the industry.
- Directs Division initiatives that build the Company’s reputation and brand and that help strengthen the communities where the Company operates.
- Develops, implements and leads Vulcan Foundation initiatives in the Southwest and Mountain West Divisions that strengthen the Company’s reputation and help advance its business and community interests.
- Develops state governmental relations strategies and implementation plans and is part of the Corporate team that has federal relations responsibility.
- Directs internal efforts to grow VMCPAC and other potential funding sources that will help strengthen the Company’s governmental affairs efforts.
- Oversees management of state lobbying firms, and works to coordinate and leverage actions of state trade associations; has the capacity to serve in a leadership role with state trade associations as required.
- Monitors and works with key regulatory agencies whose actions could impact the Company’s business.
Media Relations/Crisis Management
- Oversees management of Company’s interactions with local, state and regional media.
- Oversees management of media and related communications training programs for key spokespersons in the Divisions.
- Oversees management of Divisions’ crisis management process and training programs.
Greenfield/Site Expansions/Business Development
- Works with Division management and permitting teams to streamline successful project delivery for greenfield projects and current business expansions, using the Company’s Greenfield/Site Expansion Protocol.
- Builds and maintains productive external relationships with senior government officials and staff who are important to the Company’s success as it continues to expand its operational footprint in the Southwest and Mountain West Divisions.
- Works directly with the Southwest and Mountain West Division Presidents to develop, promote and facilitate strategic communications that enhance the business and drive strategy and messaging.
- Develops and implements strategic communications programs to drive Company objectives and further strengthen the Company’s brand.
Education, Experience, Skills Required
Bachelor’s degree is required and Master’s degree is a plus. Should have experience in leadership positions interacting with key internal and external stakeholders, including senior management, employees at all levels of the organization, and elected and non-elected governmental officials in local, state and federal government, as well as prominent civic and business leaders and NGOs. Strong skills are required as a leader and manager, public speaker, media spokesperson and advocate for the Company’s positions.