Where we need help
The Director of Community will help define the short- and long-term vision and strategy and execution for Community and the Allgood Collective at Allbirds. This role will be accountable for community programs that help in building the brand and supporting the business results in our retail stores and ecommerce business. This position operates across the Retail channel, with the objective of fueling community in-stores and online, customer engagement, and unique brand partnerships. This is a highly cross-functional position sitting in the brand team and reporting into the Chief Brand Officer. The successful candidate will bring a balanced, creative, and data-driven approach to deliver a best-in-class community experience across the organization.
What does the job entail?
- Lead, hire and develop multifunctional, high-performing brand & community teams as necessary to achieve business goals.
- Encourage participation in such initiatives and/or enable folks to co-design their own initiatives.
- Co-operates with (or works to establish) a local support group of community organizations and activists to share ideas, learning and co-design community led- initiatives
- Identifies and encourages people who are natural connectors and natural leaders within diverse communities.
- Work cross-functionally to integrate Brand/Community strategy and results into the retail and product functions in the region and into the Global Brand & Community organization.
- Operationalize community based marketing in retail.
- Drive brand awareness through community in our emerging markets in Europe and Asia/Pacific:
- Create key community based relationships and spark word of mouth conversation about the brand:
- Channel your passion for sustainability, product, performance and knowledge of consumer trends to help build critical relationships, increase awareness, create conversation and deliver a best in class guest experience that is engaging for our local community.
- Support the brand building and communication efforts for regional community events.
- Partner with the country brand & retail teams to create a map of influencers and relationships, for stores and community connectors to engage and develop
- Create an ecosystem for relationships to become key story-telling elements in all channels of communication, especially social and e-commerce
- Deliver key business results in stores and online:
- Responsible for connecting strategy to results in the stores and ecommerce.
- Accountable to support revenue and traffic KPI’s in innovative ways that grow the brand and the business year over year
- Own the community brand calendar and work cross functionally to establish key brand priorities and integrate them with key product and retail priorities.
- Responsible for management of annual budget process, including working with peers and management team to set and manage budget.
- Create sustainable training and onboarding protocols to enable the community programs and their leaders to effectively scale in the absence of a single trainer available each time.
What kind of person are we looking for?
- Strong right and left brain with an ability to balance creativity, innovation and bottom line business needs
- Strong strategic and problem-solving skills
- Able to navigate through ambiguity, thrives in a high growth, dynamic and entrepreneurial environment
- Confidence and comfort to inspire others to create.
- Experience using analytics and performance data to set and adjust priorities
- Capacity to work effectively with a wide range of people, build relationships, be diplomatic, and exhibit sensitivity to a variety of cultures and understanding of the dynamics of a complex organization
- Effective written and communication skills
More practical skills needed:
- Bachelor's degree with 10+ years experience in marketing, grass roots/community building or business related field in a high profile, globally branded organization
- 10+ years experience ideally working in a global role
- Proven ability to effectively work across a scaling company with excellent results
- Successful experience in a senior level management position leading others
- Proven ability to negotiate, influence and collaborate with other key decision makers
- Consumer experience with a mission driven, cutting edge, influential brand preferred
- Proven experience developing and driving Digital, PR and media initiatives from inception to execution
- Excellent managerial skills, with a reputation for being adaptable, empathetic, low ego; high horsepower.
- Supports motivated individuals to transform ideas into action for the benefit of themselves and others.