We offer a competitive benefits package including generous healthcare and retirement plans, an annual Development team bonus program (based on meeting the fundraising goal) and a flexible work environment. We also provide an array of professional development opportunities.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Write and produce high-priority and high-impact communications including donor proposals and case statements; occasionally produce stewardship reports, acknowledgement letters and other correspondence, print publications, event collateral, speaking remarks and web and social media content.
- Independently project manage long-term, strategic writing projects in collaboration with Communications and Principal Gifts colleagues.
- As needed, assist in the development and implementation of stewardship deliverables for high-level donors managed by the Principal Gifts officers collaborating with the Donor Relations team.
- Serve as a team resource and expert on communications issues like grammar, style and design; work with Marketing colleagues to ensure all content produced by the team aligns with the hospital's overall fundraising strategy and is consistent with Mass General's brand standards.
- Manage and update a shared file server that organizes communications and related project management documents in a sensible, intuitive way.
- Develop and maintain an understanding of the breath of research, clinical, teaching and community outreach programs of Mass General and its departments, as well as institutional fundraising priorities.
- Update actions and communications in a donor database.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Contribute to maintaining positive office morale, even in the face of high work volume and challenging periods.
- Adhere to the mission, credo, and standards of behavior of Mass General Hospital.
This position requires a Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 7 years of experience related to writing and editing. Experience in a scientific field or with scientific writing is strongly preferred. Also, the ideal candidate should possess the following skills, abilities and attributes:
- Excellent writing and editing skills, including,
- donor proposals, cases for support, acknowledgement letters and other correspondence, and stewardship reports
- print publications, event collateral, web and social media content
- Highly skilled at distilling and effectively communicating complex source material involving medicine, science and technology.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively, effectively and politely with diverse audiences.
- Excellent attention to details, professionalism and a strong work ethic.
- Able to work effectively in a large, complex, dynamic sophisticated organization.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Able to set priorities and manage expectations.
- Flexible, focused and able to achieve established goals.
- Creativity and high levels of initiative, energy and enthusiasm.
- Strong command of Microsoft Office applications.
- Commitment to adopting best practices and operational efficiency.
- Inclination to build relationships with internal and external constituencies.
- Ability to evaluate problems accurately and display sound and confidential judgment.