The Director of Communications, West role is based in the Vail Resorts corporate offices in Broomfield. The person in this role will be charged with leading all efforts to promote and protect the reputation of Vail Resorts’ premier resort brands in the region, including Whistler Blackcomb in British Columbia, Heavenly, Northstar, and Kirkwood in Lake Tahoe, and Stevens Pass in Washington State. S/he will be a strategic communications leader who can drive a geographically diverse team toward achieving business objectives through effective and aligned communications and marketing efforts. The ideal candidate must be experienced in crisis communications as well as an effective and strategic storyteller. Experience working with Canadian and/or international media is preferred. The Director will provide strategic communications counsel to the region’s leadership team to develop messaging (internal & external) to support both regional and corporate objectives.
This team is responsible for on-the-ground external communications and media relations, social media and content capture, crisis and issues management, community stakeholder management, field marketing, and in-resort messaging and events. In addition to experience in communications, the Director must demonstrate proficiency in marketing and business strategy. They will be responsible for developing and executing a communications strategy for the region that promotes the Company’s strong regional network of resorts to guests as well as the value of the Epic Pass within the region. To ensure strategic alignment, the Director will work closely with the region’s Resort Brand Management Team and the broader Vail Resorts Communications Team.
In addition to the role’s responsibility to the region, the Director will also serve on the Communications Leadership Team and will be central to driving communications strategy for mountain division initiatives that span across the Company’s entire portfolio of resorts (e.g. Guest Safety Initiatives, Community Relations Priorities, etc.).
- Develop regional communications strategy and ensure brilliant execution through effective leadership and management of resort teams.
- Build and protect our Company’s reputation in the region among guests and other stakeholders by mitigating risk and proactively telling the story of who we are and what we do.
- Act as a regional spokesperson on both proactive initiatives and through crisis communications and media train other internal stakeholders where necessary.
- Serve as the key communications resource for the region’s leaders and develop strategic messaging that support the region’s goals internally and externally.
- Work closely with both the Resort Brand Management and Communications teams to ensure alignment and execution of broader Company strategies.
- Oversee the region’s social media channels to ensure optimization is a key communication tool.
- Ensure effective execution of field marketing initiatives to reach business goals.
- Drive communication strategy for broader mountain division initiatives, working cross-regionally and centrally to ensure alignment and scalability.
- Build relationships across the Mountain Division and Corporate Functions, including Marketing, Legal, Community Relations, and HR.
- Approach & Behavior—Cultural Characteristics
- Strong learning agility. Enjoys and excels in environments where he/she must tackle and solve new and increasingly complex strategic business challenges and issues—incorporating the newest ideas, technologies, and approaches to business.
- A brave, ambitious, and passionate leader who is comfortable in his/her own skin while also demonstrating a high level of emotional intelligence and self-awareness.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in Journalism, Communications or Marketing
- 10+ years of experience in external communication or PR role and experience with international companies and/or media is preferred
- Skilled communicator, with proven experience in crisis communications and issues management
- Experience managing a team and driving results through effective leadership; strong desire to develop talent
- Excellent writer able to draft nuanced communications on a variety of topics
- Can develop strategy, demonstrate initiative, and secure buy-in from stakeholders of all levels, including executive leadership
- Ability to effectively navigate through ambiguity; decides and acts without having the picture totally defined; appropriately changes strategy in response to new information
- Drives for results – makes things happen and conveys a sense of urgency
- Well-versed with all forms of external communications channels, especially news media and social media
- High emotional intelligence and relationship-building skills, including the ability to work with people from various cultures and areas of the business; builds and maintains highly effective working relationships internally and externally.
- Team player – strives for collective success.
The budgeted range starts at $112,000 - $140,250 + annual bonus + equity. Actual pay will be adjusted based on experience.
The perks include a free ski pass, and a set of benefits including...
- Medical, Dental, Vision insurance, and a 401(k) retirement plan
- Hourly employees are generally eligible for accrued Paid Time Off (PTO), Extra Time Off (ETO) and Sick Time. Salaried employees are generally eligible for Flexible Time Off (FTO)
- Paid Parental Leave for eligible mothers and fathers
- Healthcare & Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Life, AD&D, and disability insurance