Director of Communications & Outreach
Engage Cuba is currently looking for an experienced Director of Communications and Outreach. The Director of Communications and Outreach will work closely with the President to develop and implement a communications strategy in national, state, and local markets. The Director will also serve as Engage Cuba?s main point of contact for members of our growing State Councils.
Ideal candidates will have a background in political communications and media relations as well as experience with digital communications and social media. S/he must demonstrate excellent writing skills and the ability to understand and communicate complicated U.S.-Cuba policies.
Spanish fluency is strongly preferred for this position.
- Work with the President to create and implement the organization?s strategic communications plan;
- Oversee message development for the Engage Cuba coalition;
- Provide comprehensive media support for the launch of new State Councils;
- Develop relationships with key reporters and pitch stories to national media outlets, including print, radio and television;
- Manage Engage Cuba's digital communications and social media platforms, including maintaining Engage Cuba?s website;
- Draft all official Engage Cuba correspondence, including rapid responses, press releases, media advisories, op-eds, talking points, and emails to national network of State Council members; and
- Compile daily press clips and supervise press interns.
- Minimum of 2-3years communications experience.
- Bachelor?s degree in communications, political science or a related field.
- Spanish fluency preferred.
- Experience in writing and executing a communications plan.
- Experience in developing press contacts, maintaining press releases and pitching stories to national and local markets.
- Demonstrated interest in U.S.-Cuba relations.
- Experience in digital communications, photography and video editing, and Squarespace strongly preferred.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally.
- Compensation is commensurate with experience.
Engage Cuba provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, or disability. In addition to federal law requirements, Engage Cuba complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.