KIPP New Orleans Schools (KNOS) is a growing network of eleven open-enrollment, college-preparatory public schools serving 5000 students in grades pre-kindergarten through 12. Our mission is to empower students with the knowledge and skills they need to succeed in college and to lead choice-filled lives. Since 2005, we have earned a reputation for partnering with students, families and their communities to build excellent schools.
KIPP New Orleans Schools is an independent non-profit organization governed by a local board of directors. Schools are authorized by the Orleans Parish School Board (OPSB) and are held to high standards of performance. With an operating budget of $65 million and over 600 employees, we are a leader in public education in New Orleans. Our existing growth plan envisions a 12-school portfolio serving more than 5,300 students in New Orleans. Given emerging opportunities, we are actively considering revisions to our growth strategy that would enable us to serve additional students locally and throughout Louisiana.
KIPP schools provide a safe, structured, and nurturing environment so that our students thrive and maximize their learning. We hold high expectations for students, create a culture of support and achievement, and personalize learning based on a student’s needs, skills, and interests. We believe that our students need both a strong academic foundation and well-developed character strengths to succeed in college and the world beyond. KIPP principals are empowered to lead school teams and invest in training to help them grow as professionals. The KIPP Through College program provides counselors to support students as they prepare for college and career. KIPP students graduate from college at a rate four times higher than the national average for students with similar demographics.
We are looking for a highly-motivated, Director of Communications to join the KIPP New Orleans Schools (KNOS) team. This person will develop and execute the internal and external communications and marketing strategy of KNOS with a significant focus on elevating KNOS’ brand in the New Orleans community. The Director of Communications will work closely and collaboratively with the External Relations team, Development team, Recruitment team and network School Leaders. This individual will report to the Managing Director of Engagement and will manage one team member.
Develop communications and manage media relations across functional areas
- Develop and implement communications plans to support a variety of efforts: fundraising, teacher recruitment, student recruitment, employee communications, and the overall KNOS mission
- Coordinate and manage KNOS’s’ media efforts including press releases, media pitches, and staff preparation for interviews.
- Identify, evaluate and execute opportunities that increase KNOS’s visibility among key audiences.
- Write speeches, talking points, and prepare presentation materials for leadership.
- Develop, grow and manage KNOS digital communications strategy including the website, e-mail campaigns, and all social media platforms.
- Assist with event execution as needed.
Develop and oversee KNOS assets and marketing materials
- Create and manage engaging communications pieces consistent with the KNOS brand, such as one pagers, newsletters, direct mail, annual reports, advertising, etc. to attract attention and generate interest.
- Maintain brand consistency and graphic identity with a strong eye for visual design elements, including logo design and other marketing materials.
- Further develop KNOS’ brand identity and key message points to support strategic positioning in the New Orleans community.
- Manage communications projects that utilize third-party graphic designers, photographers, and video producers for design, marketing, PR, and creative support services as time and budget allow.
- Edit a range of written programmatic and fundraising materials with a high attention to detail in order to ensure clarity, conciseness and effectiveness.
- Manage the communications team and projects by overseeing design, website, social media, video, photography, and event planning.
- Train and coach team members to achieve communications and marketing goals.
- Assist in the planning and execution of other team and organizational priorities, as requested.
- Oversee crisis management situations for the organization and communicate with internal and external stakeholders.
Qualifications and Characteristics
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working in communications, PR, or journalism (required)
- Degree in either Journalism, Communications or Public Relations (required)
- Zest, grit, self-control, hope, love, social intelligence, gratitude, and a sense of humor
- A passion for and understanding of the mission of KIPP New Orleans Schools
- Deep commitment to improving the lives of kids from low-income communities; knowledge of and experience working with low-income communities preferred
- Outstanding leadership and management skills, particularly as it relates to building teams, getting people to share, managing conflict, goal setting, and holding people accountable
- Outstanding work ethic, organization, and interpersonal skills
- The flexibility needed to accommodate the breadth and depth of responsibilities and priorities
- Master’s Degree desired (not required)
- Graphic Design experience desired (not required)