Primary Purpose of Position
The Director of Communications, Group Retirement will support the President of Group Retirement in executing strategic communications for VALIC, in alignment with the AIG and L&R strategy.
The qualities of leadership of the person assuming the responsibilities for Director of Communications, Group Retirement (VALIC) will be a defining factor in the business’ growth. VALIC is in an extremely competitive and heavily regulated industry.
The business requires a communications leader with the depth of experience to be part of the management team, with a seat at the executive table, and one who will be responsible for helping to translate business strategy into business results.
People management skills with ability to provide direction, motivate and grow talent and experience overseeing social media strategy and PR agencies will also be part of the role.
The executive in this role is specifically responsible for managing the design and implementation of communications initiatives for the Group Retirement President and Leadership team, including delivering strategic plans and effectively executing tactics for the business and its constituent groups on an internal and external basis.
The role requires knowledge of the changing regulatory landscape for companies in the financial services industry and defined contribution space, as well as media/crisis communications skills.
The position is accountable for performance and results of the team's delivery on KPIs.
The position reports to the Head of Communications for L&R.
- Work closely with the President of Group Retirement and the Leadership team to deliver a comprehensive communications program for the business.
- Provide persuasive, informed counsel to senior leadership on communications strategy.
- Work with Group Retirement business, marketing and L&R Communications team to develop creative and proactive multichannel public relations initiatives in support of Group Retirement business goals.
- Serve as spokesperson as needed for the business.
- Manage day-to-day drafting of press releases, talking points for media interviews and media statements.
- Work in close collaboration with the Group Retirement marketing team to support launch of new products and services and develop creative communication campaigns to continually raise awareness of the business and the service it provides; ensure alignment with overall communications program.
- Lead development and execution of a comprehensive internal communications plan designed to foster transformation of the Group Retirement business and enhance employee engagement; responsible for writing and editing materials, and all communication initiatives to employees.
- Provide exceptional communications deliverables.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in a corporate environment as an external and internal communicator with financial services marketing experience.
- A strong understanding of retirement and financial services industry a significant plus.
- Exceptional media experience with demonstrated track record of story placement in high caliber publications (e.g., New York Times, Wall Street Journal, PlanSponsor Magazine, Bloomberg, etc.)
- Talented internal communications strategist.
- Ability to provide persuasive counsel on communications issues.
- Must have exceptional writing, proofing and editing skills.
- Professional, creative, independent, highly organized team player who enjoys working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Demonstrated project management skills and proven ability to work collaboratively with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience working with thought leadership, marketing, social media, crisis communications and critical issues management.
Bachelor’s degree (master’s preferred) in communications, marketing, English or business preferred.
Securities and investment advisory services are offered through VALIC Financial Advisors, Inc., member FINRA, SIPC and an SEC-registered investment advisor.