The * Greenfield Project* initiative formalizes the process of asset evaluation, acquisition and value addition via new ways of participation in the innovation ecosystem. The initiative is similar to a venture capital model, and is tasked with incubating promising assets to value-inflection, and thereafter either feeding the new market entry platforms into the company, or spinning out the additional value added during incubation via partnerships, trade sale, JVs or IPOs.
The successful candidate will act as an asset evaluation lead with expertise in the financial and commercial evaluation of a broad range of potential in-licensing opportunities. This will involve generating key insights that guide thinking and enable the executive management team to make informed decisions about external product, technology, asset and company acquisitions.
This role will be among the first few hires within the new function, giving the right candidate the chance to influence the business model and evolving operations. The candidate must come equipped with extensive knowledge of the biopharmaceutical business, both big picture and segment-specific, ideally gained in the process of supporting the commercial evaluation process in a buy-side corporate development team. This opportunity is also suitable for candidates transitioning from external to in-house advisory, or from sell-side business development to a buy-side role.
* Conceptualize investment themes for deal ideation and asset screening, based on a current understanding of technology evolution, investor sentiment and probabilities of success.
* Follow scientific/commercial developments in selected areas to systematically identify the key investment themes, valuation gaps, and value-inflection opportunities.
* Develop and maintain standardized profitability models for specific therapy areas or thematic * categories* of interest
* Develop screening and analytical methodologies to prioritize opportunities within a range of therapy areas/ categories using a variety of portfolio assessment tools
* Work with the executive team to ensure appropriate prioritization and ranking of transaction opportunities; clearly articulating risks and opportunities in an objective manner
* Work alongside the executive team to prepare and negotiate deal term-sheets and definitive agreements
* Research markets, competitors, and macro events to help create business plans and market entry strategies for the growth of business whilst also re-organizing existing functions where necessary
* Assess underlying business dynamics and drivers, discern sector trends and obtain critical market information
* Analyze companies' market and competitive environment, customer relations, product portfolio and growth prospects
* Have a keen grasp of non-dilutive sources of funding and the manner in which they may be used to lower costs and overcome a value-inflection hurdle.
Additional Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
* Prior asset evaluation/ In-licensing/business planning experience in a diverse range of disease areas in a biotech / pharmaceutical setting will be strongly favored
* Applicants with a demonstrated track record of success in completing transactions are preferred
* Best-in-class desk research abilities to independently gather, analyze, interpret and communicate case-specific data/ information from a variety of sources
* Excellent P&L forecasting skills, with the desire to be the best in this field
* Existing familiarity with, or ability to quickly understand, the capabilities (strengths and weaknesses) of syndicated research feeds, data sources, external consultancies, etc.
* Skilled at interviewing experts and executives across the value chain (customers, competitors, buyers, industry experts, etc.). Candidate must be able to i) identify the right person to answer the key questions, ii) reach out to them, iii) manage confidentiality and legalities, iv) successfully collaborate
* Strong project management and execution experience: able to define scope, devise work plans, lead cross-functional internal and external teams without authority
* Existing network, or the ability to quickly generate a network of external consultants, service providers and prospect management teams to assist in pre- and post-deal diligence
* Fluency in managing a multi-disciplinary team during a staged due-diligence processes (including specialists from R&D, Regulatory, IP and Commercial teams)
* Outstanding oral and written communication skills that win hearts and minds of a range of senior stakeholders. This will involve:
o Develop analysis and prepare reports supporting specific corporate portfolio investment decisions
o Developing, evolving and presenting business cases for prospect in-licensing or M&A targets to senior management
o Preparing/reviewing communications and internal briefing materials in connection with transactions approvals and communication, pre and post deal
* History of establishing strong relationships across cross-functional silos - particularly with teams involved in supporting the corporate and business development processes
* Gravitas and experience to create a positive relationship with third parties as an ambassador, including ability to independently participate in networking events, build a personal network, etc.
* Prior involvement in recruiting (CV scanning and interviews) and conducted training sessions for new joiners
* Demonstrated ability to appraise and mentor executives by giving regular feedback, timely performance reviews, and providing development opportunities
* Proven negotiation skills and experience of working in an intense deal environment
* Highly motivated, goal oriented and self-starting
* Team player with the ability to work independently with limited supervision
* Curious by nature; appreciates and enjoys the process of research and analysis
* Flexible and optimistic in outlook; sees the glass as * half full*
* Has strong interpersonal skills and is collaborative by nature
Education and Experience Requirements
* Bachelor degree required, masters preferred in a life science / pharma / healthcare related field of study, followed by subsequent MBA or strategy-oriented commercial exposure
* 10+ years of work experience required in the life sciences / pharma / healthcare industry with a preferred 5 years in commercial evaluation of asset/ company/ partnering opportunities
Understanding of value-based pricing and market access across the global healthcare system
* Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interface effectively and facilitate issue resolution within multinational development teams in a multicultural working environment