Beloved Community is seeking an experienced leader to drive the growth and sustainability of our consulting practice strands in Equity in Schools, Equity at Work, and Equity at Home. The Director of Business Development leads new business development and is responsible for securing multi-year projects, individual clients, and portfolio clients. They have equal understanding of the client engagement life cycle and organizational readiness to advance bold, equitable, and liberatory practices.
The Director will oversee client cultivation and retention efforts for 1) Individual engagements for each strand of our capacity building model, 2) Geographic and/or sector-specific cohorts, and 3) Equity Audit portfolios. The Director of Business Development builds immediate rapport with potential clients to learn more about their equity pain points. The Director of Business Development leads these initial business development calls with a mix of warmth and candor before presenting potential Beloved services to advance the client’s equity agenda. The Director works closely with the Assistant Director of Finance & Operations and the Director of Education & Programming to ensure that all of Beloved’s programs are appropriately staffed and have the highest level of operations and administrative support.
What You Bring
- Unwavering analysis of equity and liberatory practices
- Ten years of experience working for at least two organizations or corporations; nonprofits, philanthropic, consulting, or corporate diversity teams preferred.
- Experience on a senior management team with a wide berth of authority to make decisions regarding budget, program direction, staff management, and strategic shifts.
- Ability to use quantitative and qualitative data to make portfolio decisions and revenue forecasts.
- Ability to work with organizations at very different points in their life cycles and at different levels of functionality.
- Self-awareness about your personal identities as well as knowledge of anti-bias and anti-racism frameworks and how they impact team development.
- Experience using research, best practices, or respected exemplars to enrich and improve program offerings.
Business Development and Cultivation
- Research potential clients and develop targeted strategies to engage them.
- Lead engagement and inclusion for current and potential clients to secure recurring contracts.
- Host brief informational meetings with potential clients, cohort partner agencies, and cohort participants.
- Design services that meet each client’s equity agenda
- Edit and approve client proposals and budgets
- Develop client/project dashboard with tiered data collection/reporting cycles
- Design business development 1-pagers, flyers, and team communications
- Support funder meetings with data and/or presentations about program impact
- Develop partnerships with other capacity building organizations
Support client projects
- Deliver high quality coaching and guidance to the CEO, Executive Director and/or senior leadership team.
- Serve as project manager for key client projects
- Review, revise, and train team members on project management the Beloved way.
- Collaborate with the Director of Education and Programming to monitor program performance and client feedback.
- Collaborate with the Director of Education and Programming to lead internal data review and program visioning.
- Elevate Beloved’s brand as a thought leader
- Present the Beloved Community model at local, regional, national and international conferences and convenings
- Contribute to thought leadership (writing and research) about our work
- Represent Beloved Community as a learner and collaborator in field building convenings and workshops.
Support Royal Team development
- Engage in strategic visioning with Beloved Community leadership
- Participate in recruitment screening and interview processes for new hires
- Lead relevant components of onboarding for new team members
- Provide key data, narratives, and program reports for funding solicitations and funding accountability
- Identify grants that further develop our capacity-building supports
- Participate in social media campaigns
As a result of your business development, Beloved Community will secure 7-figure client revenue annually. As a result of your regional client engagement, we will deepen our impact in New Orleans, Memphis, Indianapolis, and Kansas City. Your analysis and recommendations about our program capacity will increase our client-centered practices. Your collaborative leadership will enable the growth and development of our teams, programs, research, and equity tool suite.
Location: Remote with bases in New Orleans and Memphis
Day In The Life
- 40% Business Development Meetings
- 25% Internal proposal and staffing review
- 20% Team and Manager meetings
- 10% Email Communications
- 5% Client Coaching