At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, what matters most is helping people live full and healthy lives. We focus on treating, curing and preventing some of the most devastating and complex diseases of our time. And we pursue the most promising science, wherever it might be found. Janssen R&D (JRD) is an organization of 11,000+ people with an operating budget of $7B, which includes JRD Therapeutic Areas (Cardiovascular/Metabolism, Immunology, Infectious Diseases/Vaccines, Neuroscience, Oncology, Pulmonary Hypertension) and JRD Global Functions. The BioTherapeutics team (JBIO) is responsible for delivery high quality differentiated biologic therapeutics (mostly antibodies) into the clinic, supporting molecules through clinical development and post launch.
We are Janssen. Our mission drives us. Our patients inspire us. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it.
In this role you will serve as a key advisor to the Biologics senior leadership team, reporting to the VP of emerging sciences, strategy and operations of Janssen BioTherapeutics. You will partner with other cross-functional and Therapeutic area colleagues to guide BioTherapeutics' efforts in crafting, developing, and fielding impactful data science solutions in the area of biologics therapeutics. We are searching for an extraordinary data scientist who is passionate about joining a premier Biologic therapeutic organization. Our biologic therapeutics include mono- and multi-specific antibodies, CAR Ts, gene therapies and peptides. You will be actively engaged in analyzing and correlating clinical and preclinical data to inform and direct research efforts to build safe, efficacious and differentiated products.
As the Director you will identify viable data science opportunities and then conceive, develop and implement end to end data analytical strategies and solutions. As an authority in the field of computational sciences, together with strong leadership and management skills, you will collaborate with a broad base community of dynamic, accomplished data scientists within Janssen. These data scientists support multiple R&D therapeutic and platform areas, and discover and develop innovative medicines. You will seek, explore and use data in multiple ways to drive scientific innovation.
- You'll lead BioTherapeutics data science strategies with an expectation that solutions will influence successful discovery and development of high quality, differentiated biologic therapeutics
- Lead data science projects by developing and applying creative solutions/ collaborate with cross functional colleagues in Data Sciences to source groundbreaking tools to deliver insights to high-priority scientific problems
- Stay on the cutting edge of data science in order to implement novel algorithms that influence decisions at various levels of biologic therapeutic design, discovery and development
- You'll partner effectively with data science teams embedded across the therapeutic area functions, other data scientists, Johnson & Johnson Information Technology teams as well as epidemiological and other research teams to extract meaningful insights that will help fuel the growth of our R&D pipeline
- Work collaboratively with data scientists in Janssen to tackle difficult and complex problems
- Work with colleagues in research and development to conceive, design, build, and implement state-of-the art scientific algorithms to support R&D initiatives.
- Participate in drug discovery and development project teams and interact closely with scientific colleagues across various disciplines
- Provide technical mentorship to team members and interface effectively with biologists, geneticists, physicians, pathologists, and other bioinformatics scientists
- Network effectively externally and internally to assimilate and synthesize emerging trends in data science by attending relevant meetings and conferences
- Ph.D. degree with 10+ years of experience, or Master's degree and 15+ years of experience, in Computer Science, Statistics, Machine Learning & Artificial Intelligence, Physics, Mathematics, Computational Chemistry, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology or a related discipline
- Strong working knowledge of machine learning algorithms such as Random Forest, SVM, neural networks, etc. and/or Natural Language Processing techniques
- Familiarity with large datasets, understanding of data analysis workflows, and/or knowledge of querying languages such as SQL
- Proficient with one or more programming language such as Python, R, C++, or Java
- Travel of 5% domestic and 5% global
- Familiarity with drug discovery and clinical development processes
- Experience delivering on data science initiatives using predictive technologies, data mining and/or text mining
- Experience with visualization software/tools such as R, Spotfire, Tableau, etc.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and written skills