The Director of Banquet and Events is responsible for the management of all aspects of the B&E department in accordance with hotel standards. Coordinates details and menus for clients' functions and maintains budgeted revenues through solicitation of business while controlling expenditures. Directs, implements, and maintains a management philosophy that serves as a guide to B&E associates.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain complete knowledge of and comply with all departmental policies, service procedures, and standards.
- Ensure that standards are maintained at a superior level on a daily basis.
- Maintain complete knowledge of and comply with all hotel/departmental policies and procedures, ensuring that Catering associates are informed as well.
- Liaise daily with B&E associates to review the status of business, schedules, priority assignments, bookings, and all information pertinent to the department operation.
- Check with the secretary throughout the day to ensure that all-clerical work is processed on a timely basis.
- Direct and monitor the performance of B&E associates, ensuring that all procedures are followed; correct any deficiencies with respective personnel.
- Organize and delegate traces for follow-up; be familiar with the status of each.
- Ensure that B&E offices are kept organized and clean.
- Review the Captain's reports/logbook for previous day functions; follow up any problems noted and file.
- Review Banquet sales for the previous day; resolve discrepancies with Accounting; track revenue against budget.
- Review Banquet checks for the previous day's functions; ensure accuracy of charges and presence of guest signature; resolve discrepancies.
- Establish a departmental manual identifying all policies relevant to booking functions with respective charges.
- Ensure that B&E associates are knowledgeable of such:
- Function room capacities and various setups
- Blocking space (definite/tentative)
- Use of all forms
- Menus and pricing
- Guarantee policy
- Cancellation policy
- Payment policy
- Room rental charges
- Corkage fees
- Food handling policy
- Service charges
- Coatroom policy
- Miscellaneous pricing (floral, entertainment, etc.)
- Shipping/receiving policies
- Lost and found policy
- Ensure that B&E associates are familiar with Banquet service standards to better sell the facilities.
- Review B&E associates' request to block space to ensure that appropriate space is blocked to accommodate the group's requirements and to maximize labor costs; resolve any discrepancies.
- Establish and monitor the file and trace system.
- Assign specific files and sales objectives to catering personnel.
- Ensure client files are kept organized and current with all required information.
- Monitor and handle inquiry calls on a timely basis.
- Ensure that all incoming calls are answered within 3 rings with proper greetings and telephone etiquette.
- Monitor departmental call reports and assist Catering associates in determining follow-up actions.
- Monitor response time to messages, ensuring that all messages are returned promptly.
- Establish standardized form letters for use by all Catering associates as a response to inquiries, tentative/ definite bookings, thank you, cancellations, and re-bookings.
- Ensure appropriate letters are sent and filed.
- Actively solicit and book business following hotel standards.
- Meet with clients to work out the details of their functions.
- Escort clients through the property and highlight features of the facility as well as available services.
- Suggestively sell menus, which meet the client's needs and maximize revenues.
- Where appropriate, entertain clients in the hotel outlets to sell the hotel facilities.
- Liaise with the Executive Chef to plan special requests for clients and special event menus; arrange introductions between the client and Chef.
- Where appropriate, coordinate arrangements for a Chef's table to persuade profitable potential clients.
- Ensure that all definite functions are detailed accurately on Banquet Event Orders, signed by clients, and distributed to designated departments on a timely basis; resolve any discrepancies with respective Catering associates.
- Review estimated guarantees and ensure that firm guarantees are obtained by appropriate business days prior to scheduled function; ensure that the overset figure complies with established standards.
- Monitor the preparation and distribution of the Daily Event Sheet; ensure that all information is complete and accurate and distributed on a timely basis.
- Monitor changes to Banquet Event Orders; ensure that accurate information is communicated to respective departments on a timely basis in order to best serve the client; resolve discrepancies with catering associates.
- Monitor the preparation and distribution of the Weekly Event Sheet; resolve any incomplete information or problems with respective Catering associates prior to the distribution of the sheet.
- Identify groups, which do not have scheduled functions and communicate such to outlets in order to help them anticipate expected business levels.
- Prepare and distribute the weekly Catering forecast identifying covers and sales by meal period.
- Ensure that a Banquet check is typed for each function one day prior to the scheduled event and given to the Banquet department.
- Monitor the accurate record of each check issued and ensure the security of all unused checks.
- Ensure that door cards are typed for each scheduled function and properly posted.
- Prepare and distribute amenity request forms for specified clients; obtain designated approvals and follow up on delivery.
- Check function room setups prior to guest arrival, ensuring all details are in agreement with the client's requirements and hotel standards; ensure respective personnel correct deficiencies.
- Meet with the Chef prior to function time to verify arrangements and to observe the quality of the food presentation.
- Assist in plate up of meals as requested; ensure that standards are met.
- Welcome group contact upon arrival at function and ensure guest satisfaction.
- Check that functions are properly staffed to provide the required standard of service; ensure that associates are well-groomed; resolve any deficiencies with the Banquet Manager and/or Supervisor on duty.
- Assist in supervising the service of functions, ensuring guest satisfaction.
- Monitor, handle, and process all billing/payment procedures according to Accounting standards.
- Monitor guest reactions and confer with service associates to ensure guest satisfaction.
- Anticipate guests' needs, respond promptly, and acknowledge all guests, however busy and whatever time of day.
- Promote positive guest relations at all times.
- Be familiar with all hotel services/features and local attractions/activities to respond accurately to any guest inquiry.
Must be able to perform job functions with attention to detail, speed, and accuracy; prioritize, organize, and follow-up; be a clear thinker, remaining calm and resolving problems using good judgment; follow directions thoroughly; understand a guest’s service needs; work cohesively with co-workers as part of a team; work with minimal supervision; maintain the confidentiality of guest information and pertinent hotel data.
- Thorough understanding of financial reports including labor; ability to effectively direct and manage all facets of B&E.
- Demonstrate project management experience in organizing, planning, and executing large-scale projects from conception through implementation
- Demonstrated experience in leading and developing people and the ability to establish rapport and/or influence and gain an understanding of others
- Ability to lead a team, flexibility with work schedule
- Ability to enforce hotel's standards, policies, and procedures with all kitchen personnel; ability to prioritize, organize and delegate work assignments
- Ability to direct performance of B&E associates and follow up with corrections where needed; ability to motivate B&E associates and maintain a cohesive team.
- Ability to promote positive work relationships with service personnel and other departments
- Ability to ascertain associates training needs and provide such training; ability to work well under the pressure of organizing and attaining production schedules and timelines
- Ability to maintain good coordination; ability to transport cases of received goods to the workstations; ability to transport pots and pans of food from storage/prep areas to the serving line; ability to work an 8-12 hour shift, 5-7 days per week noisy and sometimes close conditions
- Ability to work with all products and food ingredients involved; ability to use all senses to ensure quality standards is met; ability to differentiate dates; ability to operate, clean and maintain all equipment required in job functions
Required to speak, read, and write English, with fluency in other languages preferred.
- Must be able to exert physical effort in transporting 20 pounds, endure various physical movements throughout the work areas, reach up and down, remain stationary at times throughout work periods, and satisfactorily communicate with guests and co-workers to their understanding.
- Pool & Beach Environment- constantly exposed to heat, high cold, and wind, slippery surfaces, and appliances such as stove, oven, dishwasher, cooking top, as well as housekeeping and cleaning tools.
- Diploma/Some College or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
- Must have current and valid Food Handler’s card and TIPS certification
- Minimum of three years’ experience as a Director of B&E in a similar capacity
- Hotel operational exposure (i.e. F&B) preferred
- Experience with a luxury or ultra-luxury property or brand preferred