Identify, validate and implement new materials, coating and processes for the and Tools and Storage Group (HTSG) Group within Stanley Black and Decker Develop and manage a Hub and spoke style organization within HTSG organization of the Global Tools & Storage (GTS) headquarters in Towson, Maryland and having direct reports in SC, CT, TX, Taiwan, and other related international locations. Travel will be required to support multiple business units within SB&D as well as customers, vendors, and manufacturing partners.
- The Hub is responsible for identifying and supporting the spokes that will be immersed within each business unit.
- Hire a diverse staff capable of driving innovative products and processes into the organization.
- Develop and maintain relationships of interest in the field both within Stanley Black & Decker and external including industrial working groups, conferences, tech councils, universities. government, etc.
- Build and maintain a functioning lab with necessary test capability and expert consultation in the Hub as well as satellite labs at the corresponding spokes. Create test procedures, quality plans, and transferrable documents associated with new materials and processes for successful implementation
- Investigate new materials including many forms; ceramics, bulk metals, and polymers.
- Experiment and research composite coatings, platings, and new processing equipment is a top priority
- Other material opportunities with combination from matrix properties is also of importance.
- Implement and comply with industry standards.
- Investigate techniques like PVD, CVD, plasma, laser, ultrasonic, additive manufacturing and other newly available opportunities
- Build proposals for the business to invest in new technologies, equipment, materials, and be able communicate justifications to the leadership level.
- Assist in developing the strategy for the product road and ensure we keep our competitive advantage in key areas such as hand tools, fastening, cutting, measuring storage, organization, efficiency, etc.
- Identify customer frustrations as well as problems within the business or target markets
- Validate technology advancements for particular markets, segments and users
- Propose other options for advancing the business beyond material focus
Critical Skill Sets Required:
- MS/ME/PhD Material Science & Engineering, Physics, Chemical Engineering or similar
- People and Lab Management Experience
- Advanced material and process knowledge
- Report writing, presentation, and publication of technical literature Quantitative analysis and diagnostic testing with qualitative feedback and guidance
- Vapor deposition processing for hard coatings, abrasives, cutting, and thermal barrier protection
Boron nitride, diamond like carbons, metal ceramic matrix, and fiber reinforced composites