Plans, organizes, and directs department operations to provide high-quality patient care services in a cost effective manner consistent with the mission, goals, and objectives of the organization. Creates, directs, and implements the policies and procedures for assigned nursing department. Provides leadership to department and assumes 24-hour accountability for clinical practice. Reports to Vice President, Nursing for the overall operation of units. Ensures a high level of quality care and services for patients by coordinating and communicating operational procedures to staff, providers and hospital departments and community agencies. Monitors, evaluates, and modifies programs while adhering to MSMH guidelines and standards.
- Masters degree in nursing or related field or within a year of graduation from hire date
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Registered Nurse with currently Maryland license or multistate compact license
- Three (3) or more years of current experience in nursing and management experience required
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops and contributes to the achievement of established practice/clinic/department goals and objectives and adheres to MSMH/practice/clinic/department policies, procedures, quality standards and safety standards. Ensures compliance with hospital/facility policies and procedures and governmental/accreditation regulations.
- Ensures competent, well-trained personnel and performs all relevant personnel functions as appropriate; i.e. recruitment, hiring, terminating, evaluating, counseling and educating, with primary emphasis placed on staff retention, mandatory in-services, orienting new staff, preparing a minimum of two (2) educational programs for staff annually, completing probationary and annual evaluations in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates knowledge of infection control and Joint Commission requirements. Chairs relevant committees as assigned and works with administration in the development of policies and procedures governing nursing practice.
- Maintains accountability for delivery of nursing services as evidenced by adequate staffing, patient rounds, timely processing of variance reports, compliance with Hospital policies and procedures, patient satisfaction surveys, staff satisfaction.
- Prepares operating and capital equipment budgets. Evaluates unit operations through payroll reports, patient classification system, productivity reports, and monthly operating budget. Adheres to productivity standards.
- Monitors quality indicators and evaluates effectiveness of QI indicators and processes and participates in performance improvement activities.
- Contributes to the long-range planning process attainment of goals of the organization.
- Collaborates with other departments to ensure successful completion of projects and functions and completes projects as assigned in a timely manner.
- Maintains a safe environment for patient that is conducive to health teaching, health maintenance, and symptom management
- Performs other duties as assigned.