Job Summary and Responsibilities: Provide leadership for planning, management, implementation, integration and coordination of inpatient oncology services in support of service line's goals and vision. Dedicated to excellence, effective leadership, and financial stability. Supports the delivery of high quality, value-based patient care through activities based on facility strategic goals and objectives.
Leadership and Strategic Planning
1. Supports the development and achievement of division's strategic plans and goals based on industry trends, market research, emerging clinical and product development.
2. Partners with Physician leadership in short- and long-term strategic planning, business development, and marketing for cancer service line.
3. Partners on the development of strategies, programs and relationships for capturing market share; increasing consumer preference; growing clinical trial enrollment and volumes; maximizing profits; achieving clinical quality; improving customer satisfaction; and staff engagement and retention.
4. Develops clinical quality standards and measures in conjunction with the clinical team.
5. Collaborates with physician strategies such as physician recruitment & partnerships.
6. Partners on program expansion strategies into target markets (local, state, national and international) through development and implementation of affiliate, network and physician strategies.
7. Offers insight for new clinical program development to fill gaps in the cancer care continuum.
8. Appropriately prepare and develop nursing and ancillary oncology staff to support divisional strategies.
9. Manages administrative services to meet division needs.
10. Develops appropriate nursing organizational structure for cancer service line and modifies as needed.
11. Assures good communication within the division, with the department and with other key satellite partners.
Performance Improvement Responsibility
1. Enhances quality oncology services through performance improvement and appropriate utilization of resources.
2. Develops an operational system that supports a seamless flow of patients through the continuum of care.
3. Monitors system-wide cancer program performance according to goals; develops and implements strategies to achieve goals.
4. Monitors clinical quality performance according to goals, and implements strategies to advance clinical outcomes.
5. Develops and implements strategies to achieve cost-savings and operations efficiency when appropriate.
6. Responsible for developing, implementing, and continuously evaluating programs and services to meet volume, profitability, quality and service standards.
7. Demonstrates knowledge of the occurrence reporting system and reports trends in occurrences to staff. This information is used to improve patient safety.
8. Ensures staff is educated on established guidelines for reporting a significant medical error or unanticipated outcome in the patient's care which results in patient harm.
9. Addresses patient safety in the Performance Improvement Plan.
10. Attends national cancer-related meetings/conferences to learn about new standards and requirements for cancer programs.
Research & Education
1. Facilitates robust clinical research inquiry that meets standards for clinical and translational research and generates peer-reviewed publication; responsible for ensuring safe, ethical and cost-effective management of cancer clinical research.
2. Collaborates with department administration to oversee grant awards, including clinical trials.
3. Assists investigators with problem resolution, including staffing and procurement.
4. Partners with physician leaders to research and trial best practices.
Clinical Practice Management
1. Collaborates with physicians to provide leadership in the oncology department.
2. Evaluates and makes recommendations regarding new technology and services.
3. Collaborates proactively with all interdisciplinary team members and with a patient/family focus to facilitate and maximize client healthcare outcomes. Coordinates multi-disciplinary patient care conferences for high risk or medically complex patients.
4. Ensures all cancer operations are compliant according to guidelines and standards, including but not limited to, HIPAA, CME, NCCN, ACoS, research subject protection, and CMS requirements.
5. Responsible as appropriate for cancer program accreditation (ACoS, ACR, etc). Assures all cancer data is collected and reported according to state and national accreditation requirements.
6. Work with corporate legal team to resolve compliance issues or address regulatory concerns relating to cancer program operations in a timely manner.
7. Maintains clinical work schedules and assignments.
8. Oversees the prioritization of projects and directs resources to ensure the attainment of facility goals.
9. Monitors clinical productivity and addresses operational issues with counterparts across all service lines.
10. Monitors contract activity and supports development of new contracts and business development opportunities.
11. Reviews and collaborates with service line leadership for budget, recruitment and strategic planning
12. Leads long-range capital planning process.
1. Interviews, hires, disciplines, evaluate, and terminate employees according to Hospital's Human Resource policies.
2. Facilitates human resource activities (including needs assessment, recruiting, immigration, onboarding, career development, engagement, management of leaves and compensation planning) for faculty, advanced practice providers, fellows, researchers and staff.
3. Oversees and mentors direct reports. Recruits program leadership. Meets regularly with team to promote smooth operation of program.
4. Works in conjunction with indirect reports to ensure cancer program initiatives are met.
5. Establishes, communicates and monitors goals for staff.
6. Facilitates strategies to achieve high levels of employee engagement.
7. Develops and approves job descriptions and salaries for new positions.
8. Leadership responsibility for team morale, satisfaction, productivity, and retention.
9. Responsible for a multidisciplinary team needs planning, development and recruitment.
10. Responsible for hiring and retaining qualified personnel through effective job design, recruitment, retention, development, and performance management programs and processes; assists cancer- related department leadership in same capacity for key positions.
11. Ensures compliance with external and institutional policies and procedures.
12. Develops and manages financial plans and budgets.
13. Monitors division budgets to ensure goals are achieved and targets are met; recommends modification of expenditures to meet targets.
14. Makes optimal use of a variety of restricted, sponsored, clinical, philanthropic and unrestricted accounts.
15. Manages division space and equipment.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
1. Bachelor's degree in Nursing.
2. Master's degree.
3. 5 years progressive management experience required including supervision and budgetary responsibility.
4. Strong service orientation, communication skills, judgment and the ability to work collaboratively with faculty, staff and students.
5. Demonstrated ability to develop professionally and assume increasing levels of responsibility.
6. Management experience in an academic health care or similar setting in close partnership with high performing physician leadership
Job ID 20109