AEye is looking for a highly motivated Director of New Product Introduction, experienced in automotive product launch. The individual will be the core team leader responsible for managing the product from its Conception to Manufacturing Transfer to a Contract Manufacturer (CM) and SORP (Start of Regular Production). The individual will be the liaison between AEye Technical Program Management, Product Management, Business Development, Research, Engineering, Quality, Sourcing, Finance, Pilot Manufacturing, and Contract Manufacturer. The individual will be responsible for managing the product development through APQP Product Development Phase Gate process. The role will require travel to contractor manufacturers sites and requires occasional travel to customer sites.
Tasks, Duties & Responsibilities:
Product Design Development and Transfer
- Responsible for New Product Introduction (NPI).
- Responsible for developing a high-performance NPI team, establishing the project charters and metrics, and developing the initial Project and Business Plans according to Automotive Standards.
- Effectively manages project outputs including customer requirements and product design requirements.
- Responsible for NPI KPIs.
- Creating and managing Product and Process Development and Transfer Schedule.
- Set-timeline and manage expectations with Technical Program Management, R&D, Engineering Teams, Pilot Manufacturing, Sourcing, Materials Planning, Quality, and CM.
- Implements APQP Product Development Phase Gate Process on all automotive projects.
- Responsible for championing the product through NPI Phase Gate reviews and phase gate approvals from Product Review Committee (PRC).
- Promptly identify NPI risks and recommend mitigation plans to PRC.
- Develop and manage Budget, Work Breakdown Schedule and Resource management.
- Responsible for aligning product development to customer SORP timeline.
- Responsible for coordinating CM PPAP.
- Fosters trust and transparency within the team in order to optimize team functioning and facilitate the surfacing of issues.
- Fosters Design for manufacturability (DFM) and Design for assembly (DFA) through APQP at NPI.
- Facilitates Bill of material, specifications, and other process document transfer to CM in a seamless manner.
- Coordinate Custom tooling and fixturing collaboration with CM and AEye stakeholders.
- Coordinate smooth Directed Vendor transfer to CM.
- Assist Materials Management team in inventory transfer to CM.
- Incorporates Lean methodology to the process.
- Assist the Quality Engineering to perform CM audits and process transfers.
Essential Skill & Experience Requirements (required):
- Strong new product launch experience in Automotive using APQP and PPAP.
- Prior experience with product development in a phase gate process in medical or automotive industry.
- Experience working with a product transfer to Contract Manufacturer or Tier 1.
- Hands on project schedule management experience using Microsoft Project or similar tool.
- Experience working with Automotive Tier - 1 / Tier - 2 / OEM on Component and System Level APQP and PPAP.
- Strong knowledge of NPIt and Manufacturing Transfer KPIs.
- Experience or knowledge of product qualification, IQ, OQ, PQs.
- Experience managing contract manufacturers.
- Experience in managing Advanced Quality during NPI stage.
- Attention to details.
- Strong Problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- 7+ years Automotive Industry experience in Automotive / Electronics / Optics / Electromechanical.
- Experience with Design of Experiments using Minitab or other equivalent statistical software.
- B.S. in Mechanical, Electrical, Electronics, or Industrial Engineering or related field.
Preferred Skills & Experience (useful):
- M.S. in Quality, Mechanical or Industrial Engineering or related field.
- 10+ years of automotive experience.
- Working experience in semiconductor fab / Optics / Laser.
- Knowledge of Measurement System Analysis – Gage R&R, System Correlation, and System Bias.
- Knowledge of Process Control Plans, FMEA, and Statistical Data Analysis.
- PMP certification.
- Six Sigma Green Belt or Black Belt.
- Experience in a fast-paced and demanding start-up experience.