Santen is a specialized pharmaceutical company focused exclusively on ophthalmology in global markets around the world with more than 3,500 employees and sales in approximately 60 countries. Santen Inc., located in Emeryville, CA, contributes important ophthalmic research and development efforts worldwide and is home to our regional business teams. This office currently employs about 140 people and will grow by 50%+ in the near future.
With the passionate support of our Japanese parent company and its 125-year heritage, Santen is pursuing intellectually-challenging and stimulating work to deliver game-changing therapies that make hope a reality for people facing vision impairment and loss.
We are driven and committed to our mission: Delivering Vision, Every Day. Additionally, our Corporate Strategy Policy for FY18-FY20 has provided essential focus for new commercialization efforts that will be fueled through an unprecedented increase in marketing investment and talent acquisition across Marketing, Sales, and R&D teams.
We are in search of top talent to help us meet our aggressive and important goals.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION:
This position will specifically provide experienced, technical, and scientific leadership in the production of engineered mono and multispecific antibodies or novel protein scaffolds using state of the art technology for Santen’s global development pipeline. Person will select lead candidate based on activity assays and develop assessments utilizing external organizations, ensure efficiency and attainment of project milestones, and coordinate and manage technical activities at the external organization. Initiates, presents and defends technical proposals and provides development updates to the management.
We are looking for an individual with PhD in Biopharmaceuticals / Molecular Biology/ Biochemistry, with 6-10 years experience in Pharma/biotech industry, including 2-4 years of Group / Project / External Organization management experience and hands on development of antibody therapeutics in a drug discovery setting.
MAJOR DUTIES OF POSITION:
- Provide scientific, technical, organizational leadership for production of engineered mono- and multi-specific antibodies, from small to large scale, in support of research goals established for the new biological entities (NBE) in Global Pharmaceutical R&D; Assist in defining departmental strategy, especially with respect to NBE research goals.
- Responsibility for Lead candidate selection, Developability Assessments, and Stable Cell Line development for IND enabling studies; Responsibility for the generation of new intellectual property in conjunction with these activities.
- Identification, implementation, and resourcing of new technologies/applications/ external collaborations in support of research goals; Responsibility for integration with new technology providers. Participation in licensing and technology evaluation teams.
- Facilitate communication between groups within and outside Santen, including Global Disease Area Strategy, Global Non-clinical and Global Clinical Sciences.
- Participation in interdisciplinary internal Global R&D meetings and external meetings as required.
- Recruit, retain, and develop high quality staff as necessary; Manage performance of direct and indirect reports, as necessary.
- Ensure compliance with all required training, safety, regulatory, HR, and intellectual property activities and corporate policies.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- 6-10 years experience in Pharma/biotech industry, including management responisibility and hand on development of antibody therapeutics in a drug discovery setting
- 2-4 years of Group / Project / External Orgranization management experience
- Requires broad and thorough knowledge of production of antibodies and engineered molecules, developability or manufacturability assessments, stable cell line generation, and method development for purification of antibodies produced in mammalian/bacterial cell culture expression systems
- In-depth understanding of primary, secondary and tertiary protein structure and post-translational modifications.
- Hands on cell line development and experience in developing functional assays is a plus
- Requires the ability to communicate effectively by oral presentation, written technical reports, and scientific publications
- Ability to communicate scientific results internally and externally
- Ability to lead and participate in interdisciplinary teams, both locally and internationally
- Ability to propose, articulate, evaluate, and recommend new technology opportunities for licensing or partnering
- Ability to manage all aspects of the design, engineering, and generation of protein therapeutics (especially monoclonal antibodies)
- Ability to manage external collaborations with technology-based business partners in support of new biologics research goals