Director, Mortgage Lending
Purpose of the Job
The Director, Mortgage Lending is responsible for the overall leadership, performance, growth, administration and strategic direction of the Mortgage Lending Program and works in collaboration with all delivery channels (MCC, MFC, and Digital). Assists in the development of Credit Union’s Mortgage Lending strategy and is responsible for the successful execution of said strategy. Ensures Mortgage Lending operates within Federal Regulation, Credit Union policy and member-owner philosophy while overseeing the activities of the Mortgage Lending Department to include Mortgage Origination and Operations, Secondary Marketing, and Construction Lending. Promotes quality Mortgage and Construction loan member service and related activities, including the soliciting, processing, underwriting, closing, secondary marketingsales and loan servicing functions. Also forms deep working relationships with internal departments as well as the realtor and home builder business community.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Directs and coordinates business development activities for the staff for the purpose of generating, closing and servicing mortgage and constructionloans. All activities are to be conducted in such a way as to support the mission of the Credit Union.
- Primarily responsible for the profitable growth of the mortgage origination volume.
- Develops and builds a team of both internal and external Mortgage Loan Officers to offer origination services across the Credit Union’s footprint.
- Establishes and maintains key relationships and business contacts within the community and with the partner's management team as well as influential real estate agents and home builders.
- Prioritizes, manages and communicates promotional campaigns and product initiatives.
- Must participate in business development activities in which the Credit Union may participate; includes some evenings and weekends for functions and events.
- Supervises directly and indirectly the activities of employees engaged in implementing the Credit Union’s mortgage lending function.
- Communicates, trains and develops staff in new and changing products and services while utilizing the Credit Union’s Vital Basics methodology.
- Acts as primary contact with all investors on all issues including contract renewals, volume bonuses and addition or deletion of investors.
- Conducts business in such a way as to conform and abide by all the laws, rules, regulations and code of ethics that are applicable to the Credit Union’s regulatory body.
- Evaluates and ensures the sound and compliant credit decisions as it pertains to all real estate loans.
- Responds to and resolves member service requests according to policies in a prompt, efficient and courteous manner at all times.
- Responsible for maintaining and enhancing seller/servicer certifications with Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae.
- Registers and obtains a unique identifier number from the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System as a Mortgage Loan Originator as well as keeps the license in force by submitting updates when personal information changes and to complete the annual renewal of the license.
- Develops and monitors the department’s budget.
- Participates in the annual review process, including writing and delivering reviews as needed.
- Assists in the hiring and interviewing of candidates for open positions within the department, as needed. Includes Mortgage, Construction, Servicing, and Secondary Market positions.
- Actively supports the Credit Unions’ member relations and teamwork standards.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists with other tasks and projects as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must have deep knowledge of the real estate sales process and business, including issues and challenges facing brokers and leaders in the business
- Must have Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac seller/servicer knowledge
- Must have FHA/VA lending knowledge
- Must be knowledgeable about a vast array of mortgage products available and make timely and efficient decisions regarding the structure and placement of customers needs into appropriate products
- Must be familiar with loan pricing and able to quote rates and fees in a compliant, concise and clear manner
- Must have proven experience in leading, managing, motivating and retaining a Retail Mortgage production force
- Must have excellent communication and presentation skills in English, both verbal and written
- Must have intermediate knowledge on Microsoft Excel and Word as well as various web based underwriting engines such as Fannie Mae Desktop Underwriter and Freddie Mac’s Loan Prospector
- Must have strong negotiator and solid influence management skills
- Must have strong analytical, planning and organizational skills with the ability to multi task and prioritize effectively; process oriented, results driven
- Must have extensive pipeline management skills
- Must have proven ability to identify member’s needs and to develop programs, processes or products that meet those needs
- Must be team player with demonstrated ability to work with all levels of internal and external management
- Must have ability to understand all business processes within the credit union
- Must have superior interpersonal skills; ability to get along with diverse personalities; tactful, mature, flexible, compassionate
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality
- Must be able to work in a general office environment
- Must be flexible and able to shift resources and priorities as required
- Should possess a strong commitment to providing excellent service to Truliant’s members and employees
- Occasional standing, walking, bending, and stooping required
- Must be able to sit at a desk for long periods of time and use a computer
- Must be able to moderately lift or move up to 5 pounds and occasionally lift or move up to 10 pounds
- Frequent travelrequired
Education and Background
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance or related field or equivalent experiencerequired
- Must have a minimum of 10years of management experience with proven experience in growing Real Estate Lending business in different economic cycles and achieving production targets
- Must possess extensive member service experience, escrow management, and general mortgage servicing, including collections and related litigation experience
- A working knowledge of the fundamentals of the financial industry required