WE GIVE DOWN-TO-EARTH A WHOLE NEW MEANING
You experience our products every day, though you may not recognize our name. That’s OK. We’re focused on being great, not especially flashy.
We’re Lehigh Hanson. Our products build cities and towns, including stadiums that hold thousands of fans, and bridges that support millions of vehicles. We have thousands of employees across hundreds of locations in the U.S. and Canada, making us North America’s leading supplier of cement, aggregates, ready mixed concrete, asphalt and related construction materials.
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO
The Director of Mine & Mineral Resources will specialize in the Mineral Resources necessary to lead the high standard we expect of all quarry sites. In particular, the primary role is to provide geotechnical leadership and support in relation to securing the stability of excavations, lagoons, waste ponds and tips, but also to provide leadership in mineral reserve and resource acquisition, exploration, green-fielding and mine planning. This includes the ability to manage mine planning to ensure long term geotechnical stability of structures and supporting the safe and economic development of mineral resources and reserves.
Reporting to the VP, Competence Center Materials (CCM), the Director of Mine & Mineral Resources has particular responsibilities in respect of ensuring that accurate, professional, geological and geotechnical leadership, information and advice is provided to the operations teams and is properly implemented on site. They will provide design advice to other members of the team to ensure that quarry development proposals are practical and effective to maximize the recovery of reserves and resources.
The CCM Engineering team is a conduit for transferring good practice across the organization, not only through establishing practice, but via delivery of Aggregates Academy training and active participation in global best practice calls.
This high profile position will require travel up to 40% within North America (NAM).
- Provide leadership, management and advice relating to engineering geology and geotechnical services to the Regions.
- Undertaking the design, management and reporting of mineral reserves geological investigations, and mine planning.
- Provide advice and support to operations teams on the safe implementation of mining methods with regard to mining, geotechnical, hydrological and mine planning issues.
- Qualified in estimation, assessment, evaluation and economic extraction of Mineral Reserves.
- The preparation of plans, procedures, rules, advice, etc. necessary to ensure the safe implementation of mining methods during the quarry life and after reclamation is implemented.
- Working with the VP, CCM to maintain appropriate systems to manage all geotechnical and geological issues.
- Undertaking audits and reporting of site compliance with agreed schemes and procedures.
- Providing input into regional projects as necessary.
- The provision of training on geological and geotechnical matters to staff in conjunction with the Aggregate Academy objectives.
- The procurement and management of external consultant services as required from time to time in accordance with specified procedures.
- The provision of ad hoc specialist reports and technical advice relevant to the work of the department.
- Representing the interests of Lehigh Hanson and the aggregate industry in discussions and meetings with the planning authorities, regulatory bodies and others.
- Working in close cooperation with line management, particularly the Production and Operations Departments, to ensure continued cost efficient production of aggregates.
- Complying with the competition legislation and all related company instructions and procedures.
- Complying with all Group and company administrative, management and safety instructions as amended from time to time.
- Responsible as geotechnical specialist at all quarry sites in Lehigh Hanson North America.
This position will be based at our corporate office in Irving, Texas. Our corporate office supports the Lehigh Hanson plants in North America and offers highly competitive benefits with no waiting period to participate in medical, dental, vision, and life insurance programs. In addition, we offer a 401(k) retirement savings plan with an automatic company contribution as well as matching contributions.
Amenities include a free fitness center, free covered parking, and on-site cafe and coffee bar. We also offer “Dress for Your Day” which gives our employees the discretion to select appropriate dress depending on the business activities of each workday.
HERE’S WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- BS in Geology, Engineering Geology or Geology with an Engineering Geology focus.
- Desired MS or higher in Geology, Geotechnical Engineering or Engineering Geology.
- Registered Professional Geologist is preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in the minerals/quarrying industry with sufficient relevant management experience in soil mechanics, rock mechanics or excavation engineering to satisfy the competency requirements for a geotechnical specialist.
- Must be self-motivated, fast-paced, able to work independently and multi-task, capable of completing tasks with tight deadlines.
- Excellent team skills.
- Project management experience.
- Proficient use of MS Office including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint ARC GIS, AutoCAD and Carlson.
- Proficient use of other software relevant to engineering geology and quarry design e.g. LSS, SLOPE, DIPS etc.
- Ability to read and understand stability analysis and calculate factors of safety.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Exceptional prioritization and scheduling skills.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent accounting & negotiating skills.
- Diplomacy and sensitivity to highly confidential information.
- Flexibility to weekend/evening working, start early or close late occasionally, when required.
- Travel in NAM will be 30-40% of your time.