In this role you will have overall responsibility for R&D activities on the membrane products for CCM. This will include new and existing products as well as identifying and implementing new technologies related to these products. In addition he/she has the responsibility for directing and overseeing product performance requirements, predictive testing, product formulations, and supervising the R&D link to plant processing associated with manufacturing and assembling products, and overseeing design and performance for all manufactured and marketed products and systems supported by his/ her group. This will include raw material specifications, formulations, technical specifications, processing specifications, processes, equipment, field design and performance requirements, new systems and code approvals.
Organizational objectives for this position include creating a vision for developing expertise and skilled personnel in the R&D group and implementing this organizational strategy. This includes identifying relevant R&D resources, hiring and training them as per established strategy. The Director will coach, mentor and lead a group of R&D Managers, Chemists and Technicians to be self-sufficient in their areas of expertise and work with them to establish short and long-term career objectives.
- Establishes and manages R&D strategy for membrane products and drives innovation
- Leads, motivates and develops a team of Technical Managers, Chemists, and Technicians
- Responsible for Research & development of membrane products and processes
- Interface with equipment suppliers to develop processing technology
- Work with manufacturing and engineering groups to facilitate successful transfer of new technology.
- Mentor, develop and motivate Product and Process R&D Engineers and Plant Process Support Engineers
- Maintain efficient and effective allocation of capital and human resources to ensure optimal performance of the team.
- Demonstrate effective technology decision making.
- Provide guidance and direction in setting the company's Technology Roadmaps.
- Provide technical leadership that influences and sets company direction for Research and Process technologies.
- Represent membrane R&D in providing cross functional/department leadership.
- Work effectively with other department leaders to drive company strategy and initiatives
- Develop and communicate membrane R&D strategic objectives. Understand the impact and implications of R&D strategy to the overall company strategy and ensure alignment.
- Review, establish and prioritize projects that support Marketing, Purchasing and Manufacturing objectives.
- Bachelor's Degree in Chemistry, Materials Science or related fields
- PhD is a strong plus
- 15 + years of experience in areas of Research & Development involving formulation development, processing and process support and physical testing in building and construction products.
- Experience in a technical leadership role; managing Chemists/ Engineers and Technicians
- Relevant experience and knowledge of calendaring and extrusion manufacturing processes
- Relevant experience with Managing R&D budget and Administrative responsibilities
- Established experience in hiring skilled individuals and setting strategy for large groups