GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured. GRAIL is using the power of high-intensity sequencing, population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology, and to develop and commercialize pioneering products for the early detection of cancer. The company is located in Menlo Park, California. It is supported by leading global investors and pharmaceutical, technology, and healthcare companies. For more information, please visit www.grail.com.
The Director, Medical Science Liaisons (MSLs) is responsible for both developing and executing the strategic and operational aspects of GRAIL’s MSL team; ensuring that the team delivers field-based medical support that is aligned with our products’ clinical development and business objectives.
- Provide strategic leadership to the MSL team at GRAIL with the goal of educating and supporting key opinion leaders (KOLs) with the most current clinical and scientific materials supporting the clinical value of GRAIL’s product(s)
- Ensure that the MSL team provides professional, field-based medical support to a range of functions within GRAIL, including Medical Affairs, Clinical Development, Clinical Operations, and the Commercial organization
- Contribute to the development and implementation of MA department’s vision and strategic direction
- Functions as a field-based member within the Medical Affairs department and be directly in charge of a team of field-based MSLs whose activities span the US
- Guide/assist each MSL in developing and executing an effective Territory Management Plan (reach and frequency of interactions with thought leaders within their regions). Will also define, implement and manage the regional team priorities while promoting collaboration within the team and with cross-functional colleagues.
- Deploy MSLs to respond to unsolicited questions and appropriately partner with the commercial field team to provide necessary and appropriate medical resources across the US
- Ensure that all interactions and activities in the territories adhere to corporate and healthcare compliance guidance, including those related to clinical trials, scientific interactions with internal and external groups, and responses to unsolicited requests for medical/scientific information
- Manage and develop the MSL team including hiring, field training, evaluation, motivation and performance enhancement activities in alignment with the company’s corporate strategies and objectives
- Develop an MSL onboarding and training program to ensure proficiency and subject matter expertise in major data sources (clinical trials, published reports, etc.) relative to GRAIL’s products
- Select a KOL database vendor for KOL identification and engagement
- Provide strategic direction to the MSLs to identify, develop/and or maintain strong working relationships with KOLs and KOL champions (key decision makers in health systems, medical groups, healthcare provider offices, advocacy organizations, and national/regional professional societies) to promote understanding and adoption of GRAIL’s products
- Maintain clinical, scientific, and technical expertise related to GRAIL’s products
- Develop and maintain productive and appropriate relationships with cross-functional leadership in Commercial and R&D organizations
- Manage T&E for direct reports
- Provide monthly activity reports to summarize field activities and field medical intelligence
- Work with MSLs to identify professional development goals and opportunities
- Contribute to Sales field education in assisting with sales force training and providing insights into opportunities for improvements and updates to training
- Assist in agenda planning and meeting facilitation of Advisory Board(s), conducting Speaker Trainings, and External Payor Reviews as needed
- Support investigator-initiated, multicenter studies that expand our indications
Your Background will Include
- Advanced scientific degree (MD, PharmD, PhD or equivalent degree), experience in oncology, genomics, diagnostics, cfDNA-based applications, or similar applied medical fields strongly preferred
- Minimum of 10 years of industry experience in a diagnostics or pharmaceutical Medical Affairs setting, including 3 years of proven success in MSL management.
- Prior experience as a medical affairs leader in the introduction of a novel new clinical product is highly desired
- Demonstrated acumen in presenting clinical data to external audience and senior management required
- Experience with strategic and tactical planning for marketed product preferred
- Strong leadership, team building, negotiation and ability to execute Medical Affairs strategies and tactics
- Self-directed, intrinsically motivated, flexible to changes in an ever-changing dynamic environment
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Field-based position requiring up to 60% travel