At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
- Position reports to the Sr. Director, US Medical Cardiovascular
- This role will have accountability as the US market Medical Lead and lead the US Medical matrix teams to set the medical strategies and objectives (ISR strategy, communication, publication, Field Medical, etc.)
- The Director will oversee the execution of medical activities to increase knowledge to ensure safe/effective use of BMS products and translate clinical insights into actionable strategies and tactics to meet customers’ needs.
- This Medical Lead is responsible for partnering with US Commercialization, collaborating with WW Medical, Clinical Development teams to pursue a strategic vision for the product lifecycle within the disease area
- Establish clear and challenging goals that allow skilled and empowered professionals to accomplish business objectives consistent with organization; make objective and effective decision
- Lead the development of US medical plan that is both product and disease specific in alignment with US Commercialization (USC) and WW Medical (WWM), translating USC and WWM strategies into effective US Medical launch plans and life cycle management plans.
- Active leadership and participation as core member on the WWM Franchise team, and closely collaborating/partnering with worldwide counterparts to craft the WWM plan that ensures US market needs are addressed.
- Establish US Medical data generation strategies, and collaborate with Medical Data Generation (MDG) to oversee the execution of the Investigator Sponsored Research (ISR) programs from concept through full execution, including reporting the evidence at scientific congresses, in peer reviewed publications, and proactive/reactive BMS communication tools.
- Lead US Medical matrix teams (Field Medical, Data Generation, Patient Advocacy, Medical Education, and Congress Management) to plan and deliver medical objectives with flawless execution and excellence budget utilization. Measures and assess the effectiveness of US Medical plans regularly.
- Partner closely with colleagues in Discovery, Clinical Research, Regulatory, and Health Outcomes to ensure the science of the pipeline products and marketed medicines are understood and communicated properly internally and externally.
- Collaborates and communicates with US Commercialization & Access organizations to integrate medical perspectives into the commercialization process and ensure appropriate alignment between commercial and medical plans.
- Engages with high impact external thought leaders in order to identify and translate key insights and to drive adoption of BMS medicines.
- Contributes to shape the competitive strategies around pricing and reimbursement by influencing from US perspective for the target product profile, label language and value considerations.
- Manages, coach, and develop a team of Medical Scientists (if applicable)
- Serve as internal disease expert who is fully integrated into the BMS matrix team and provides critical input into the development of effective communication tools and programs for optimal market access.
- Demonstrate the ability to make effective decisions on selecting external organizations and researchers with appropriate expertise for research collaborations.
Qualifications & Experience
- Advanced scientific degree (MD, PhD, PharmD, PA/NP)
- Prior (5-10+ years) pharmaceutical industry experience in medical affairs is preferred
- Highly organized and motivated individual with the ability to lead multiple projects and initiatives across diverse high performing matrix teams
- The successful candidate must have the ability to work effectively within cross-functional teams, have excellent communication and presentation skills, both verbal and written
- He or she should have an understanding of pharmaceutical drug development including; clinical development, regulatory, life cycle management of pharmaceutical products, and knowledge of thought leaders in the field
- The ideal candidate will have clinical expertise, and some relevant experience in the disease area within the pharmaceutical industry, such as within Medical Affairs or Clinical Development
- Ability to lead and develop people
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to navigate complex situations and gain alignment with diverse stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to execute and deliver results in a deadline-driven environment while managing multiple priorities
- Strong understanding of business acumen including payer and market access challenges
- Estimated 20% travel (as applicable)