At AstraZeneca, we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We're focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life.
AstraZeneca's vision in Oncology is to help patients by redefining the cancer-treatment paradigm, with the aim of bringing six new cancer medicines to patients between 2013 and 2020. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and hematological cancers. As well as other tumor types, these are being targeted through four key platforms - immunotherapy, the genetic drivers of cancer and resistance, DNA damage repair, and antibody drug conjugates, underpinned by personalized healthcare and biomarker technologies.
We are currently hiring a Director of Medical Alignment (DMA) to join our Women's Cancer Team (WCT)/DNA Damage Response (DDR)- Gynecologic Oncology based in Gaithersburg, Maryland.
The Director of Medical Alignment (DMA) is a strategic member of the Core Medical Team. The DMA is accountable to ensure design and execution of the integrated Medical Affairs Plan, and for ensuring alignment of US Medical Affairs scientific activities in support of the overarching brand objectives. The DMA demonstrates leadership and delivers strategic thinking in collaborating with and influencing internal stakeholders, including brand team, cross-functional leads, field medical, and global. The DMA also leads external scientific expert engagement planning and implementation.
- Accountable to manage the Alliance as the primary link between AZ and partner in the WCT/DDR area focused on Gynecologic Oncology
- Responsible for the strategic alignment across Medical Affairs' Functional areas as well as align with the global and commercial teams regarding the medical plan
- Represents Medical Affairs on brand team
- Responsible for strategic alignment of Medical Affairs ESE engagement Plan
- Lead strategy and alignment of Medical Affairs at congresses
- Responsible for the delivery of medical and scientific insight back to the Business and to formulate/modify medical affairs strategy plans as appropriate
- Lead the US medical affairs strategy, alignment and execution of launch plans for new products and indications
- Responsible for developing Medical Affairs Advisory Board plan and accountable for execution of plan
- Plan and manage Gynecologic Oncology Medical Affairs budget
- Responsible for the optimal and appropriate use of medical resources in a compliant manner
- Lead cross-functional project teams in support of medical affair brand strategy
- Franchise Lead
- Medical Head
- Medical Information Managers/Director
- Medical Science Liaisons and Regional Directors
- Medical Training Team
- Medical Managed Markets
- Corporate Affairs
- Commercial Brand Team
- HEOR Directors
- Regulatory Affairs Team
- Global Brand Team
- Global Medical Affairs Team
- External Scientific Expert/Key External Experts
- Managed Markets
- Clinical Study Investigators
- Professional Societies
- Advanced degree (Masters) in Pharmacology, Pharmacy, Medicine, Biological sciences or equivalent experience required; Doctorate in Medicine, Pharmacy, Pharmacology, or Biological sciences preferred.
- 3-5 years of prior Industry experience, preferably in Medical Affairs
- Ability to independently lead, initiate, manage, develop and deliver initiatives/projects
- Strong knowledge of medical strategy, clinical development, and Field medical activities
- Ability to work effectively in a cross-functional team environment
- Demonstrated experience with developing and executing strategic plans
- Experience in engaging with external experts
- Demonstrated leadership abilities in a matrix organization
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills while demonstrating strategic thinking, leading and delivering outcomes
- Highly developed written, verbal and presentation skills
- Excellent computer skills (Excel, Word, Power Point, etc.)
- High Emotional Intelligence with self-awareness and strong interpersonal skills
- Results driven, customer service orientation
- Experience in developing and maintaining External Experts relationships
- Experience in navigating complex business challenges
- Experience in a strategy-setting role within Medical Affairs
- Working knowledge of FDA requirements
- Knowledge and/or expertise in disease or therapeutic area.