Why Join Us?
Be a hero for our rare disease patients
Ultragenyx is a commercial-stage biopharmaceutical company committed to developing novel therapies for the treatment of rare and ultra-rare genetic diseases. The company has rapidly built a diverse portfolio of small molecule, monoclonal antibody, mRNA and gene therapy candidates with the potential to address debilitating genetic diseases for which the unmet medical need is high, the biology for treatment is clear, and for which there are typically no approved therapies treating the underlying disease.
Developing new treatments for rare genetic diseases is challenging work. It takes courage, talent, and dedication to look past the easy answers and uncover new solutions that can make a meaningful impact. At Ultragenyx we push each other to perform at our very best, because we never lose sight of our mission - to make a difference in our patients' lives.
Come join our team during this exciting time of growth and opportunities! During the COVID-19 Outbreak we are committed to our hiring process. The health and safety of our employees and prospective employees take priority which means at this time our process will include WebEx video discussions, interviews & onboarding.
ultraimpact - Make a difference for those who need it most
This position reports directly to the country General Manager with a dotted line and full functional accountability to the VP of Medical Affairs North America. The Director, Medical Affairs, Canada will provide scientific and medical leadership and support to all functions within the affiliate to ensure achievement of local objectives and to further the company's North America Medical Affairs mission to maximize patient outcomes by setting and continuously advancing the evidence-based medical standard of care.
Responsibilities including, but not limited to:
- Develop and continuously maintain the highest scientific and medical expertise with all applicable diseases and products and be acknowledged internally and externally as an expert in these areas
- Develop and implement a Canadian Medical Affairs strategy and plan, to support best clinical practice and the overall corporate objectives
- Lead and manage the Canadian Medical Affairs Field Team to effectively implement the local Medical Affairs strategy and support the overall corporate objectives
- Actively engage with NA Medical Affairs and other functions to ensure the effective local implementation of company strategy and appropriate use of local medical and scientific intelligence and development opportunities
- Provide Medical Affairs strategic guidance and tactical support for government relations and market access activities across the applicable diseases and products
- Build relationships with thought leaders within all applicable current and future therapeutic areas, other healthcare professionals and stakeholders, including patient groups and professional organizations.
- Provide medical leadership, insight and strategy to all company activities, collaborating across functions, including ensuring the highest level of medical education for all company employees to maximize patient outcomes
- Identify and implement appropriate high-impact medical research projects to support the business objectives, including company-sponsored and investigator-initiated projects
- Review and approve Canadian Clinical Trial Application files on a monthly basis
- Manage requests for company product supply in off-label and compassionate use cases, in accordance with local and company procedures
- Provide support for the development, review and approval of presentation materials for scientific meetings, symposia and other Medical Education activities (external).
- Lead the implementation of medical affairs practices to assess new indications, the treating community, patient pathways, identifying patients for clinical research
Technical Requirements & Skills:
- MD (preferred), PhD, and/or PharmD with pharmaceutical industry experience required (5 years minimum of management of medical departments).
- Relevant and significant experience in the pharmaceutical or the biotech industry (or experience with biological product)
- Experience and success in directing a Medical Affairs Field team (3 years minimum)
- Background / experience in metabolic diseases, pediatrics or genetic diseases preferred
- Rare diseases knowledge/experience preferred
- Set & Achieve Goals: Understand business objectives and effectively translate them into strategies, while skillfully navigating obstacles and resistance to change
- Inspire & Mobilize Others: Serve as a positive role model - create followership and effectively mobilize and influence others, both on your team and across the organization
- Partner & Collaborate Effectively: Listen to and value others' thoughts and ideas. Demonstrate effective partnership both within and outside your team. Achieve results with and through others
Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital and veteran status. Reasonable accommodation will be provided for qualified individuals with disabilities and for qualified disabled veterans in job application procedures, as required by applicable law.
Note to External Recruiters: All candidate activity and open positions are managed strictly through our Human Resources Department. Our Human Resources Department kindly requests that recruiters not contact employees/hiring managers directly in an attempt to solicit business and present candidates. Please note that failure to comply with this request will be a factor in determining a professional relationship with our organization. Submission of unsolicited resumes prior to an agreement set in place between the Human Resources Department and the recruiting agency will not create any implied obligation. Inquiries on developing a recruiting relationship